Monday, August 11, 2014

Love Affair with La Luna


Amara and I are currently reading, Starry River of the Sky by Grace Lin (who also penned Where the Mountain Meets the Moon) which tells the story of an angry young runaway boy (Rendi) and the missing moon. This young fellow seems to be the only one who hears the loud moaning sounds of the disappeared moon leaving him to toss and turn all night long. The entire tale is a lovely one which weaves in Chinese folktale to teach about family relationships, pride, compassion, ego and forgiveness. There are stories about the moon, the Lady of the moon and how the moon stands so high in the sky. The story is a delightful book that will take it's place on our favorites shelf.

It is appropriate that we are reading about Rendi and his journey to find the moon just prior to the full moon of August. I love the moon and I especially love the full moon. I love how she fills the sky in such an auspicious manner. I love how she changes from night to night, shifting from dark to light. So symbolic for us all. And I am thankful to her; for the power she brings to manifest deep, meaningful but restless dreams and the excuse for moods in both myself and others that fluctuate prior to the one night a month when she is full-of mystery, grandness and beauty.

I often find myself chasing the full moon to take photos. Night photos are my greatest challenge so this is a slow work in progress. And even though my photos have much to be desired, I relish the moments I spend gazing at La Luna's glorious fullness in my foolish attempts to capture her.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Oahu 2024

  It had been a long time since we were on Oahu. 2019 to be exact. Pre-Covid. We'd been to Maui, the Big Island (together and the former...