Friday, August 26, 2016

Ancient, Sacred, Redwoods (at Redwood N.P. and Jedediah S.P.)


IMG_8512


We could have driven straight back to our home in Pinole from Idaho but I had my heart set on seeing the gigantic, sacred redwoods that grace the most northern part of California. And I wanted to share that with my family. There is nothing greater for a family than to be together in nature.


I first laid my eyes and hands on redwoods when I lived in Garberville in 1988, a small town about 150 south of Crescent City. It was love at first sight and I always wanted to go further north to see the older ones. So we drove and drove for hundreds of miles, so that we could all set foot in the redwood forests that soothe the heart, soul and mind. As always, the redwoods were welcoming and healing.


IMG_8496-001
Amara standing next to the root of fallen redwood. Massive.


IMG_8498-001


There is something whimsical, mystical and magical about these very gentle giants. One's heart feels lighter when in their mists; the soul child emerges, ready to dance and play and climb. I suggested to the girls that if Fairies were going go to live any where it had to be in the redwood forests. Shorty afterwards, we saw hundreds of enormous dragonflies by the river, which Fairies use as transportation!  I mean, if I were a Fairy, this is definitely where I would live!


IMG_8497


IMG_8535-001


IMG_8522-001


IMG_8508
Another family shot next to one of the 'elders'. This beauty was over 1,000 years old.


 


What a glorious way to spend a morning and we were most fortunate that along the entire ride home, we were able to see many more of the mystical trees as we drove the 101.  I suspect it won't be long before we spend a long weekend up in far Northern California to hang out with the redwoods again.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Oahu 2024

  It had been a long time since we were on Oahu. 2019 to be exact. Pre-Covid. We'd been to Maui, the Big Island (together and the former...