Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Rocky Mountain High....& Low




During the planing of our trip to Colorado, we knew that going to Rocky Mountain National Park was one of the few things on our  'must do' list. I had not been to the park since I was seventeen and Don was not sure if he had been there during a cross country road trip when he was in his twenties. We were excited to make new memories as a family, surrounded by the rugged, purple mountains and the bright wildflowers that vividly light up the landscape. We were also hopeful that some wildlife would be kind enough to make their presence known. We were most fortunate that we did get to create such memories.

 Colorado in general has quite the striking landscape. The earth, it feels more solid there. More grounded. The mountains reminding us all of the boundless power of Mother Earth. Within the imaginary boundaries of the state, is a deep history of this country. The blood and bones of the native people lies deep in the soil, as does those of the early European settlers, who made the challenging trek to the West. It is sad that there are few present day reminders of the original peoples of the land. Colorado is now predominately European settled, yet there are many who remember and honor those who came first. And, it seems that most who call Colorado home respect and honor the natural world, spending as much time outdoors as possible. Colorado; She is a landscape rich, diverse, inspiring and soul touching.


July 4th, 2018

On a more person level, we found the natural world to be deeply inspiring as well. However, we also had some challenging moments as well. Be it the altitude (we got up as high as 11, 00 feet), the heat, lack of sleep or just growing pains, we had a few bumps in our road that felt more like earth shattering quakes. During those moments, of tears and yelling, along with hurtful words, I found myself, as a mother grasping for resources to steady the ground. Two months out, I am still saddened that I failed to stay rooted to my own inner resources, which may have supported and stabilized things sooner than later. I also recognize that I am not perfect and at times my own lack of sleep, growing pains or other stressors, can impact how my response to such experiences. Thankfully, when the dust settled, we were able to talk about things. Remorse came from the heart yet, I was still left shaky, even now, all these weeks later. 

I have often said that my two small gems have been my greatest teachers. Years of trodding a spiritual path has been good for my soul's evolution. Having two daughters in two years accelerated the opportunities to learn and grow. During our time in Colorado, underneath endless mountains, big skies and crisp fresh air, we had some powerful lessons. But what better place to learn than in such a place so grounded and glorious? I am most thankful however, that we left with more positive memories than not. We left feeling grateful for our time, hopeful to return sooner than later.














No comments:

Post a Comment

Oahu 2024

  It had been a long time since we were on Oahu. 2019 to be exact. Pre-Covid. We'd been to Maui, the Big Island (together and the former...