Sunday, September 27, 2020

Mister Kai

 

                                                                            


In early August, a young Siamese was been found on the streets of Stockton and was brought to the Animal Control. I had been looking for a week for a kitten and thought it would be a long time until we found the right match. Covid-19 was inspiring countless families to adopt four legged fur babies and I was told that for each kitten looking for a home hundreds of applications were submitted.

The Universe conspired for the wait to be much quicker than anticipated. A few hours after his photo was posted on petfinder, I saw his sweet photo. I called the Stockton Animal Control, who told me that I had to come in that day as he would not be there very long. Long story short, the supervisor ended up telling me she'd hold this little guy until I could come the next day (which was my day off).

Off I went the next morning, with Havana and my eighty year old mother as my co-pilots. Amara was off on a backpacking trip for the week and Don was home working (he was not keen on new kitten-that did not last long but more on that later). When I got to the shelter, I was the only one allowed in. When I asked to see the kitten, I was told he was already mine and to hand over my credit card for the fifty dollar adoption fee and to wait where I was. 

I panicked. What if he was not friendly. What if I did not feel a connection. What if we were not a good match for each other? As I signed the paper work, a nice gentleman took my pet carrier and left to retrieve our new kitty. Seeing my concern, the staff who was processing the paperwork reassured me, "Our supervisor would not suggest him if he was not a good match." I was only slightly reassured.

When the other staff returned with the kitten. I took a look inside the carrier.  Looking up at me was the most gentle blue eyes and that was all it took. It was love at first site. I knew that this little Siamese was meant for our family.

In the six weeks since Kai came home, he has buried himself deep in all our hearts with the exception of Samson, who is very slowly tolerating him! Kai has turned out to be a playful, silly, loving kitten who loves to chase crumpled paper (and now likes to dunk it in his water bowl), his balls and swap his brother Samson (who likes to growl back). He loves to cuddle and if we leave the house (even going to the mailbox or backyard), he goes to the door and meows in the saddest voice. He has tried to follow us outside, resulting in a few escapes. He has joined his sisters at school, often showing up in zoom classrooms. He loves to nap any and everywhere. He is also mischeivious. He loves attention and if he feels slighted he is prone to knock over glasses of water or whatever else will make a lot of noise and/or mess!  But mostly, his tiny self is full of enormous love and sweetness. And the love is reciprocated. 

























No comments:

Post a Comment

Oahu 2024

  It had been a long time since we were on Oahu. 2019 to be exact. Pre-Covid. We'd been to Maui, the Big Island (together and the former...