Monday, October 26, 2020

Scenes from Quarantine-Part 8 (Road Trip)


We are in a pandemic that seems to go on and on, due in part to our government terribly handling things.  But politics remains politrix as the country we live in is more divided than ever.  After months of being in self-quarantine, there was the video of yet another Black man being murdered by a police officer. The result was weeks of justified protest.  If all this divisive chaos was not enough, summer came and fire season started. Historic fires raged across California, as if symbolically burning down all the darkness and chaos of 2020. There were days when the eerie orange skies felt like we were for sure in the end times. There were weeks when we not even able to venture into our own backyard due to health concerns. 

The confinements have caused increased depression and irritability, as well as headaches from the fires (thankfully, only I suffer from those.)  To support our mental, emotional, spiritual and physical health, we opted to pack up the Pilot and head to the mountains of Central Arizona (or Iriezona as I lovingly call her), where I went to undergrad school. It was in 1987 that feel deeply in love with the earth and sky of the mountains and desert that surround Prescott. Something in my heart and soul resonates as equally with this part of the world as I do with the Caribbean. The two are extreme opposite but both places leave a feel of 'ah' deep in my heart and soul. The girls did not remember their first and only visit exactly ten years ago. Now, we'd experience this sacred land and make new memories that they would recall.

Our initial plans to visit family for a week first fell through. We were all disappointed. I talked to the girls about divine order and going with the flow.  I thought of that old saying, 'Make plans and Creator laughs."  I reassured the girls things always work out as they are meant to be. With our change of plans, last minute things fell into place and off we went. Through the long drive south, where the skies were filled with smoke, almost to the border, we all felt a sense of relief, that deepened the further we drove. Like the heavy psychic weight of months at home and skies filled with smoke were being peeled away with every mile along the freeway. 

Before we left, I had to find a last minute Airbnb.  There were too many choices. Trusting my intuition, I picked a place that I felt would be restful and peaceful.  Verification from our host, Charlie, assured us of our most important need. Wifi! As long as we could connect to a decent speed, our distant quarantine would be a success. When we arrived to our place, just on the outskirt of town, the ponderosas greeted us. My heart slowed and I took a grateful, deep breath.  I just knew that our decision to return to this special place was correct.

While we unpacked, we met our host, who lived in the main house above. Charlie, we'd come to learn was kind, even keeled and generous.  I was worried our naturally loud selves would disturb him. But he reassured us that with working outside the home during the day, it should be okay. I often tell the girls that one of the gifts of traveling is meeting strangers. Strangers who sometimes become acquaintances or sometimes even friends. Charlie did not remain a stranger long. We spoke a bit when he'd return in the evening and not surprising, there were parallels that ran through our lives. I mentioned his kindness. One evening, not too long after I pondered having to go the laundromat (something I was dreading), he asked us if we needed to do laundry. He offered us the use of his washer/dryer.  When I asked about the need to see a medical professional, he went out of his way to connect me w/ a personal friend who could assist me.  But the most generous thing was when I told him we'd be taking the drive around dirt round circling Thumb Butte. He offered us the use of his 1967 Nissan Patrol. Don was initially cautious but once he got the hang of it he had blast as did we all.  The hour we spent driving and stopping for views was good rx. I loved sharing the the land of a place I love with the people I love. To be able to share part of my history, a time so influential in my life, with my girls left me deeply grateful. Who knew then, that all those years later, I would one day return with my two small gems in tow.

It turned out that with us working/schooling, we were pretty quiet too. We all found our corners to settle down in with computers, books and headphones. We put away our few personal items when we first arrived and claimed our sleeping places. Then it was quiet. Even with houses around us, it was blissfully silent. I recall the first morning, when I got up while everyone was still asleep. I walked down the road, admiring how folks had space in between their house (unlike the Bay Area, where you can literally see through your neighbors windows and yards are like shoe boxes) and that trees were abundant. I found a trail and walked only a short distance for I also noticed the elevation. At over 5000ft, it would take a few days to acclimate. But throughout the day, having such a peaceful, quiet setting, I would take my few breaks by walking up and down the road. On several occasions, I was meet with wildlife. I knew I was happy as I didn't leave without my camera. That is always an indication of my mood. And, I found myself asking myself multiple times, 'Why did I ever leave this place?' I knew the logical answers. I accepted the divine path/plan for my life. Yet, in my heart and soul, I felt like the land there was where I could see making a home again. 



Remember, when I mentioned that things always work out? Well, Aunt Liz and Uncle Dick (who we were scheduled to spend time with prior to Arizona), had to travel to Phoenix to help Aunt Liz's mom and stepdad. Even though that situation had it's challenges, they were able to drive up and spend an afternoon with us. We walked around the downtown square, ordered pizza to go (which was surprisingly the best pizza I had outside of New York) and sat in front of our Airbnb, visiting and breaking bread. It was a short but very sweet visit. Things really do work out. 


The first days of our distant quarantine went by quickly. We were working/schooling so there was no sightseeing or much leisure time. But the chance to get out in the early morning hours or at night, be it in nature or downtown was just perfect. To just be in a beautiful change of scenery truly was the best thing for heart/mind/soul. I was sad when we had to pack up and head out. We would have another week to go, with a weekend in the Grand Canyon and Sedona first (and then another Airbnb) but something about that sweet house, with trees and birds and wind that would rush in sounding like the ocean, left me sad and wishing we had more time. Who knows, maybe one day that part of the world may just find us calling it home.










 Thumb Butte can be seen from almost any angle in town. I lived in the woods below the Butte years ago and on many full moons, I'd hike to the top. I last drove the surrounding dirt road in the early 90's.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Oahu 2024

  It had been a long time since we were on Oahu. 2019 to be exact. Pre-Covid. We'd been to Maui, the Big Island (together and the former...