Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Local Markets, Island Treasures

 


We have been bless with many travels and adventures since the girls were born. I am delighted that over the years, my love for local markets has passed on to my two small gems. A local market truly is the best way to get to know where you are at and to purchase the best food and crafts. The food, the people, the culture and other factors can give you a true flavor and feel of where you are.

While on the Big Island, we went to several local markets. Each one told a story. The one in downtown Kona informed us that cheaply made but expensively sold items were shipped in to sell to tourists. There was only one booth that sold handcrafted items. The rest was the same same tchotchke crap you can find any where, on any island in Hawaii. As far as the produce, the price was double or triple and the quality poor. That market spoke loud and clear we were in the heart of the Big Island's tourist trap.

The Saturday market of Ali'i Drive informed us that there are lots of young, off the grid folks, trying to make a go out of organic farming and back to the land life styles. We discovered unique products and more local artisans. Some making crafts to wear, hand on the wall or to consume, like the hot pepper sauce we picked up for my nephew Alex. We also found breadfruit, which caused me to do a happy dance. It also lifted my mood since I had temporarily misplaced my wallet during the luau the night before when the girls were having jet lag melt downs but I won't digress into! I went into further glee when I saw abiu, my new favorite fruit that I fell in love with in Tahiti (I loved it so much I made a blog post about it! https://twosmallgems.blogspot.com/2022/06/abiu.html) The next morning, eating that abiu on our balcony overlooking the ocean, I felt like the luckiest person on the Big Island. Moments like that, they are what travel is about; being present, savoring the flavors and being deeply grateful for the land, sky and sea that surrounded me.

The last farmers market we hit up was in Hilo. What can I say? It spoke volumes of the locals who come to shop for real food for local families. There was everything from honey to fresh mangoes (in several varieties) to finger bananas, to peppers, breadfruit, all types of veggies, local flowers, baked goods and much more. There was also two separate areas for local artists to sell their works. Handmade glassware, paintings, jewelry, tee shirts and bags were amongst some of the many original items we oohed an ahhed over. We took our time lingering at the many vendors stations, thankful for the canopy coverage. When it was time to head out, we had fresh squeezed lemonade, banana bread, coco bread and some Filipino's desserts to cool us down and fill our bellies on the drive back to Kona. It was clear that this market, while being a stop for tourists like us, was much more geared to the local community. The people we met were friendly, interesting, a little out there and diverse. Hilo farmer's market definitely felt more like community. I was so glad we spent the time to stop and linger.

People often ask me for suggestions when traveling and I will say it over and over; always find the local market and stop and wonder. It should be one of the first and it will be one of the best parts of any travel adventure.
























No comments:

Post a Comment

Oahu 2024

  It had been a long time since we were on Oahu. 2019 to be exact. Pre-Covid. We'd been to Maui, the Big Island (together and the former...