Thursday, April 12, 2012

Havana's Judy

Sometime late last summer, my friend Val and I, made the rounds at the Carriage Hills neighborhood garage sale (which is our family's previous neighborhood). We scored some great finds including a wooden stepping stool, some toy shopping carts, books and I took home one very sweet doll.


I had been wanting to get Havana her own doll for some time as she seemed to take an interest in dolls. Amara, not yet at the sharing stage, would not part with any of her half dozen, plus, dolls. (Which by the way, she rarely played with). Havana was not happy about this and this would cause for many a hair pulling, arm biting, head hitting and more. So when I spotted a sweet doll at one yard sale, complete with a baby carrier, I thought "Perfect! Havana can have her own doll." (and, I also started planning on how to deal with Amara, who would be jealous of Havana's new doll, despite having more than enough of her own.)


When I asked how much the doll cost, I was surprised at the price. It was higher than one would normally expect at a garage sale. But the sellers were young girls, ranging in age from about 7-12. An adult intervened and told me that the girls, her nieces, were having to move and having to get rid of their things. This was not an easy task for them and that the doll I wanted was one of the girls most favorite. Her sisters chimed in at this point, making some comments how much their sister loved the doll.


Hearing that, I felt sad for the little girl who had to part with her special friend. I suggested she keep her but she said no, she was ready to part ways. Maybe they were just good at selling stuff but I could feel how difficult it was for the sisters to have to sell their things. Feeling sympathy for the girls, I happily forked over the money and wished them well in their new home.


As I walked to the car it hit me that I didn't know the doll's name. Silly mama! So I turned around and asked the young girl. Her eyes lit up when she told me, "Dooley" and I told her that I would make sure we keep her dolls name. And we did....for a about a minute.

When I brought Dooley home that summer day, Havana's own eyes lit up. She ran over and grabbed onto her new doll and that was it; it was love at first sight.When I told Havana the dolls name was Dooley she tried it out but soon after started calling her Judy. Havana was just around 26 months old, so her language skills were still developing. I think because Dooley sounds like Judy (in a 2 year old mind, at least) and Judy is the name of one of her dear aunts, Judy she became. And now Judy has become one of Havana's favorite friends. (This doll must have some good karma to be loved so much!!)


Judy is not her #1 special Lovey (Sucky, Sucky Bear takes that spot) but she spends a lot of time with Havana and gets to do things that Sucky doesn't get to do. Judy gets dressed and undressed, and dressed again! Judy does all kinds of things during Havana's (imagination) playtime, like go to school, go on vacation, eat, and she goes for rides in the baby doll stroller. And, of course, she naps in her carrier! Havana lets me know when Judy wants me to hold her because she 'needs a hug' or when she needs her clothing changed. It is very sweet to watch Havana interact with her dolly and I get a kick listening to Havana talk to her.


I don't think Judy has to worry about garage sales in her future. I think she will part of our family for a very long time to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oahu 2024

  It had been a long time since we were on Oahu. 2019 to be exact. Pre-Covid. We'd been to Maui, the Big Island (together and the former...