Monday, June 4, 2012

"What Does That Mean?"


Just last night, when Amara asked me, "What does that word mean?" for the umpteenth time, it dawned on me; Amara does not know the meanings of  many of the words and expressions we use in our every day communication. So how have we been able to communicate with her? How has she gotten by for the past 5 years not fully understanding things? Does she just go along with things, half understanding? It's no wonder she gets angry and frustrated at times.

Amara is one of the most curious little people I have met. At 2 days old, when we were taking her for a walk around the hospital, a nurse peaked at wide eyed Amara and told Don and I, "I have been working here for sixteen years and I have never seen a more curious newborn." That statement was prophetic. My  little monkey wants to Be in this world and know and do everything something fierce. So it's no wonder she wanted to read when she was 4. And now that she successfully met her goal, she wants to know what every unknown word and saying mean in the books she reads and in the things we say.


Some of the things she has asked us to explain this weekend were, 'neither' when her Leap pad game said "neither is correct." When I was describing something I saw that was "fascinating", I had to tell find the words to explain that. Sometimes when I explain a word, I use another word she is unfamiliar with and she will get mad and say, "Don't use words I don't understand!" To which I'll respond, "Amara, I know it's frustrating to not understand things." That seems to soothe her. Yesterday she overheard me tell Don "in general..." and of course, "What does that mean?" was heard immediately from her sweet little voice.  When Havana took her toy and ran off, I said, "let it slide." I let Don explain that one. I also referred her to her father when I scolded her for being pushy towards Havana when she was drawing in way that was messy, "Give your sister a break, Amara. She's only 3." She has asked me to explain 'quit', 'stylus', 'frustrating', 'overwhelmed', and a whole heap of other words. And that was in the course of a few hours! I love that she wants to know these things and I love that she is asking. My curious sweet girl.

I find it interesting that she just let these unknown things slide before. Perhaps she didn't realize she didn't know so she let the words remain a mystery? I am very curious about that, about the language development of the little ones. I am sure I can Google this for answers! I am also curious, and more aware now, of how I talk with Havana. I am choosing my words more carefully, using simpler ones or explaining things to her when I don't.


Sometimes it's frustrating for me to be asked things over and over again. Patience is not my strength and at this age, the questions are endless at this age but I know that this is how my girl is learning and finding her way in this world. And that she is looking to me (and her father) for her answers means more than any word can describe.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Oahu 2024

  It had been a long time since we were on Oahu. 2019 to be exact. Pre-Covid. We'd been to Maui, the Big Island (together and the former...