Thursday, December 6, 2012

Uncle Norman


My Uncle Norman is my father Herb's, older (and only) brother. The two of them were always very close but especially in the last years before my father made his transition. They not only worked together at the end of my dad's life but the two brothers both worked in the garment industry during their younger years in New York. My dad sold high end textiles and Uncle Norman sold sweaters. I still recall Amy's sweaters that were made in his factory. Both brothers probably were influenced into their profession by their mother, who knitted and sold sweaters in Brooklyn to help makes ends meet. Both brothers turned out to be hard working men whose families were central to their lives.

Growing up, I loved going to my Uncle and Aunt's house on 16 Great Oaks Drive in Spring Valley. I have very fond memories of my uncle tickling me, of swimming in the pool and of all the Lassa's in the house (my aunt bred them.) My brother and I spent many weekends there. That meant Sunday morning bagels and/or Sunday dinner at The Oriental Luau.  Passover was always at their home (Uncle Norman always hid the afikoman) and we often spent Hanukkah there as well.  Their home was big, spacious and full of lots of yummy treats. We also spent alot of time in the den where we we watch Bruno Sammartino and Chief J Strong Bow do their thing on the wresting channel. To remember things so vividly confirms how I felt about those times. Those were good times and happy times.

Recently, my Uncle's health has not been that great. I have been worried about him. So after we had made plans to go to Georgia, I altered them so we could all go down and pay him a visit. Our time was limited but we had two short but sweet and meaningful visits. I couldn't help but bring my Uncle some chocolate from See's and then some pastries from a wonderful bakery near his work place (all diabetic friendly, of course!) What better way to show someone you love them than to feed them, right?! The girls were happy to spend time with their great uncle as well but it took a little time to remember him and warm up.They must have sensed my concerns because Amara has asked me a few times how Uncle Norman is doing. We have plans to make him some cards and send him some pictures.

I am very thankful we were able to alter our plans and make a visit. I wish we had more time but am glad we had the time we did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oahu 2024

  It had been a long time since we were on Oahu. 2019 to be exact. Pre-Covid. We'd been to Maui, the Big Island (together and the former...