Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Eagle Eyes




Amara is one of the most observant people I have ever met. She doesn't miss a beat, she puts things together that even grow ups wouldn't catch. Sometimes I scratch my head at how she is able to put things together. And other times I just laugh when she points out the obvious to her oblivious mama. Adults who know Amara and those who meet her for the first time are often impressed by this trait of hers.

Recently, while in Chinatown, New York, I picked up some "Chinese coins" for the girls. They love loose change and they long took hold of some other I-Ching style and foreign currency coins I had been holding on to from different sojourns.  I thought the coins I came upon on Mott Street would be fun trinkets.  I was right, they were a huge hit. 

I will leave this part of my story for a moment while I tell the other part.

Amara and I have been reading a delightful book called Where the Mountain Meets the Moon  (aka 'The Minli book'). We started reading a chapter a night weeks before my trip back East. Just tonight Amara asked where her "Chinese monies" were and then she ran and picked up The Minli book and called out "Look Mama" and she showed me that her coin matched a well camouflaged illustration of the same coin on her book cover. 

In a million years, I would never have noticed that illustration on the book cover and even if I had, I would never had connected the dots. I  love how astute Amara is and even more, I just love how pleased Amara gets with herself over her discoveries. 

It is the moments like that affirm Don's and I choice to support Amara in going to an independent school that will not only support but encourage all of the wonderful traits that make up Amara.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Oahu 2024

  It had been a long time since we were on Oahu. 2019 to be exact. Pre-Covid. We'd been to Maui, the Big Island (together and the former...