Sunday, November 8, 2015

Tooth Fairy

For the past week, both girls have been wrestling loose teeth, making determined efforts for them to fall out. Havana has two front teeth on the verge of liberation. Amara only one.  The girls were in not so silent competition of who the tooth fairy would visit first. Amara won this round. But Amara being the ever inquisitive monkey, who also worries too much for her age, decided to write the tooth fairy yet another letter asking that her tooth be left behind. This time however, she had a few other things on her mind for the tooth fairy. So after taking her time to write a well thought letter, Amara went to bed with anticipation and excitement.

The next day, while at work, I spoke to Amara who informed me she was left money and a mermaid trinket but no letter. She described in detail the silver charm. When I asked about the letter, I was told there was none from the tooth fairy. I could tell from her tone that she was disappointed. But like most kids, who are filled with hope and imagination, Amara quickly reminded me that Santa once left her a letter in the car so "maybe there is one in the car from the tooth fairy." I gently told Amara that I had not seen any notes. I didn't want her to be disappointed.

Later that day, when I arrived for pickup at school, snacks were the only thing on both their minds. I was relieved. But then, when Amara picked up her water bottle, tucked underneath and folded in a neat triangle was a note with the initials 'AC'. How I wish I had a camera in hand to capture the way Amara's eyes light up and the grinned that was spread across her face. The tooth fairy had left a note after all!
Havana was just tickled that Tooth mentioned her. She startled formulating her letter on the car ride home that day.

Tooth is one smart fairy. She knew that Amara loves mermaids as much as fairies. Amara loved that Tooth knew that but couldn't help but ask how Tooth knew that. She sure is a curious kid.
It's pretty amazing that losing a tooth generate so much excitement and intrigue. We may not have all the tooth fairy answers for the girls but we are eagerly awaiting her next visit for Havana. Who knows what she will say and leave next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oahu 2024

  It had been a long time since we were on Oahu. 2019 to be exact. Pre-Covid. We'd been to Maui, the Big Island (together and the former...