Thursday, August 15, 2019

Views from Above






I love to fly. There is nothing like being in the air. From taking off, taking in the views from above, to landing, it is always a thrill. I first flew at ten days old and my love affair with taking flight has not waned. I have had the privilege of flying on flights in jumbo jets to eight seaters, in many locations around the globe but here in Alaska I made a new record for the smallest aircraft I set foot in and what better way to do that than with my family in such a glorious locale.

I planned our bear sighting for a surprise for Don's birthday but when we took off, with me next to the pilot (what a thrill!), I realized that my unrealized fiftieth birthday wish to get in a small aircraft had come true. To see the isolated lush, green earth with rivers weaving in all directions and to have three active volcanoes standing watch over it all, at a mile above the earth, that was something I will not forget. I am pretty good at planning surprises for the family but when we landed Don turned to me and the kids and said, "I don't know how mom is going to top that one."
Mt. Iliamna, which is active.





Mt. Redoubt, also active




Glacier, which we flew right over and close enough to see the blue crevices .The energy of the glaciers was something I had not expected. I felt it's life force. It was a moving experience. 
Oil Platform in the Cook Inlet. One of many.

Kenai River

Look who we saw on our one stop!


Heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Oahu 2024

  It had been a long time since we were on Oahu. 2019 to be exact. Pre-Covid. We'd been to Maui, the Big Island (together and the former...