Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Wanderlust



There is something about traveling, about stepping out of one's comfort zone and into
unknown, uncharted or unusual destinations that is enthralling.  Whether I am going into
unexplored places or familiar landscapes, my heart and soul feel a sense of freedom that
only comes when trodding across sea and land. On my many before kids journeys, I found
myself deliriously happy with just a backpack,small bag and my camera.  The backpack
with just enough (but never too much) clothing and essentials and my small carry-on bag
with my beloved camera, some books and room for those items that would make the
return trek with me. I could and have, passed up on many a material items but an airline
ticket to a new destination or even one to a place that planted seeds in my heart; that is
something I can’t foresee ending anytime soon.

When Amara was born, I knew from the get go that I wanted her (and later Havana) to
share in that same wanderlust. Yet I knew I had to take baby steps with my baby. At just
four months old, Amara, Don and I spent a blissful week on that sacred island called Oahu.
That is where Amara first laid eyes on and feet in the ocean. It was love at first sight.
From then on, we continued to make excursions that were exciting but doable with a little
one. Mexico for a week at fourteen months. Multiple trips to Florida to be with family.
Lake Tahoe and camping with friends and a holiday on Maui when I was pregnant with
Havana. Longer, more distant locales were on hold until later years but the seeds were
planted.

When Havana arrived two years and five months later, it worked out that we ended up on
Maui again. Baby Girl followed in her sister’s footsteps in making Hawaii her trip and at
such a young age. I think it may be safe to say that both girls formed early, lifelong bond
with the aloha spirit. (Hawaii is our most traveled place, other than Florida.)

As the girls got older, we started to venture further and longer. At just under two and four,
we bravely took off on a road trip to Arizona. We discovered then, just how much longer
driving could take with two small gems in the back seat. Bathroom breaks, food stops and
more made for a long drive to the town I once called home during college. But those things
built both endurance and patience as well as further helped shape the girls into solid
little travelers. 

Maybe it was because they sensed their parents' love of travel (at our wedding reception,
each table was given the name of a country we had traveled to while single or together
(only two of those at that point but we shared some joint locales) or maybe because they
traveled across country several times before the age of one but both girls have always
been great travelers. Armed with books, crayons, snacks and their Luvey, Ellie and Sucky,
they have never really cried on a plane or fussed. Like their mother, who first flew at
ten days old, they seem to feel right at home at thirty five thousand feet. It tickles my
heart when I see the same excitement at take off and landing that have always felt inside
a metal bird.

As the girls grew even more, we stepped up our travel game. There was hiking and elk in
Banff when still tots, then Argentina at ages 5 & 7. In between were winter trips to Hawaii
and a couple of trips to my native New York, where I introduced the girls to family, friends
and my old stomping grounds. We road tripped it to Yellowstone and back the summer of
Don’s 60th and followed that up a few summers later driving and camping along the
Oregon coast. We ticked off one of my bucket list destinations, Panama, where we all feel
deeply in love with two sloths and their baby.  We’ve gotten a bit too up close and personal
with a mama grizzly and her cubs in the back country of Alaska but that sure has made for
some good story telling! While all those trips stood out in their own unique and memorable
ways. I was preparing them for jet setting across the globe, which we did in 2018.
Our sojourn Southeast Asia may have been the highlight so far for our family excursions. 

During our recent winter break, we were able to make happen another of my bucket list
destinations. Costa Rica has been pulling at my Being for decades. At long last, with two
seasoned small gems, we made that dream a reality. I have to those days along the
Caribbean,Sea, both in the water and in the jungle, have made it to the top of my favorites
list. No matter where I go, if there are palm trees, warm, sunny days and wildlife, I am
in my element. Yet, I especially feel at home in the Caribbean.

The girls too, have learned to thoroughly enjoy both sand, sea and nature. They get such a
thrill exploring new places and seeing all types of wildlife. There are times when we get on
each others nerves (sometimes more often than not) but to be able to share in the gift of
travel with those I love the most is something I am deeply grateful for.

Here is the start of our adventures in the land of Pur Vida. I suspect we may find our way to
that gem of a country in Central America sometime soon. In the meantime, I am thankful
for my camera, which was able to capture some of the memories we created together.

It's always exciting to see your (rare) name somewhere! Even on a cigar store in the airport in El Salvador! 


Small carry owns for the girls and I. Traveling light is key to happy traveling!




This photo was taken on our first full day in CR, after a 3 hour drive to catch a small boat Tortuguero NP. I
Next blog post will pick up on our awesome experience there.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Oahu 2024

  It had been a long time since we were on Oahu. 2019 to be exact. Pre-Covid. We'd been to Maui, the Big Island (together and the former...