Thursday, June 21, 2012

In Search of Lychee




Amara recently tried lychee for the first time. She loved them. And of course, she immediately asked me if we could get some to bring home. I told her as soon as I saw them in the market I would buy some. Amara takes after me in the food preference department so it wasn't surprising she liked this unusual fruit. Havana would hardly even look at them but Amara is a more willing participant when it comes to food tasting.

So when Amara began feeling better after a rough week, one of the first things she started asking for was....lychee. Our friend Nicole said the local Trader Joe's was selling them but I took the opportunity to make an early morning trip with my girls to Chinatown (Oakland) to seek them out.

I love Chinatowns. I have since I was a little girl when my family would make the trek into the City for a scrumptious Sunday dinner somewhere off  Mott Street. And while nothing compares to Chinatown in New York, (Oh, how I miss walking those crowed, narrow streets, exploring all the nooks and crannies both above and below ground), the one here in Oakland holds her own. I can't compare the one in San Francisco, since I don't make my way across the Bay much. But I spent 2 years post-grad school interning at the Salvation Army in Chinatown so I got to know the area fairly well. Well enough to have my favorite haunts, secret parking spots and to know where to get some of the best produce and seafood. And I know the best foot massage place in town!  Like most things I enjoy, however, I don't get a fair chance to experience them. So on this morning, I took the opportunity to bring the girls with me so we could not only score some lychee but so that they too could appreciate Chinatown. (the girls have been there numerous times but don't remember the earlier visits as they were babies and tots.)




If seafood is your thing, there is a great market on 8th.
I picked up some Red Snapper to grill.

I don't usually buy non-organic but for the more unusual, exotic produce I am
more lax. There are some fruits and certain greens like Jamaican callaloo
that are so hard to find that I am happy to just bless the food and enjoy it!

Havana just had to walk on all the squares!

A little walk in place that also sells some great dim sum.
Also on 8th.

It took some persuading to get the girls not
climb these stairs.  I love their curiosity.

I wasn't sure what many of the things in the herb shop were.
Thankfully, my most curious Amara wasn't afraid to ask.

BC Vietnamese Deli  on Franklin. Kick ass sandwiches for under $3 bucks.,
They even make one with tofu.
Amara particularly enjoyed the rice noodles with tofu today.





                  
This is a favorite for fresh fruit drinks . We met one of the owners today;
a mama to a 5, 3 1/2 & 1 1/2 year old. and they live just down
the road from us in El-Sob! Small world!

Decisions, decisions!

Strawberry, blueberry won out!

Exploring!



Our lychee back at home!
We learned that 9 lychee meets the daily recommended
serving for viatimin C.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oahu 2024

  It had been a long time since we were on Oahu. 2019 to be exact. Pre-Covid. We'd been to Maui, the Big Island (together and the former...