Monday, September 3, 2012

Yosemite

First view of Half Dome from the north entrance.

Yosemite. Or Awooni, as the indigenous people of the  local region called it, is without question, one of the most spectacular and sacred places on Planet Earth. Yosemite, which lies remotely in the central eastern part of California has remained untouched for thousands, if not millions of years. Humans have come and gone to Yosemite for the past few hundred years. From the original peoples, to the first arrival of the white man when the west was still 'wild', to today's more modern man with conveniences such as electric buses to transport some of the 3.4 million global visitors about the valley floor and restaurants to feed these masses, Yosemite draws people to to her. But the heart of Yosemite, the natural world of her, remains the same; stunning, breathtaking, peaceful and timeless. And the latter may be why she is so extraordinary.


The girls didn't really want to stay still for a photo! Too much time cooped up in the car!
All it took was driving through the entrance gate and I felt time slip away. The trees, the rocks, the rivers; they have countless stories to tell but there was a silence that embraced me. A silence that would still me at my core, calm me in my center and support me in just Being. Yosemite is quiet; externally and internally. As we began our descent towards the Valley, all I could feel was gratitude. Gratitude that I had been fortunate to return to this most precious place, fortunate to be able to see the wondrous sights, fortunate to breath the fresh air and smell the scents from the trees that reach towards the heavens.

It had been 6 years since I have been graced with Yosemite's indescribable splendor. The last time I camped here was when I was 6 weeks pregnant with Amara. At that time, I was suffering terribly with hyperemisis. Yet while I felt miserable, it was still better to feel awful in her peaceful and soothing space than anywhere else. Prior to that, I made annual visits my first six years in the Gold Rush State. When the girls were infants as well as younger tots, it felt like too much work and too much effort to pack up the car with the mountains of gear needed to care for diaper wearing, twice daily napping tots. Then there was the four hour drive. I felt I could not really be present with Yosemite while nursing, chasing little ones (who could not yet appreciate where they were), and preparing all the things they needed. So I took a long leave but always knowing I would return.  Recently, as both Amara and Havana have gotten used to longer road trips and are more aware of the external world, it has felt that we were ready to take our young girls on the long drive East. 

Don had been making not so subtle hints for months about going to Yosemite with the girls. Divine Intervention was on my side when I  called to inquire about space in Curry Village. I wanted to surprise Don with a weekend getaway. The tent cabins usually get booked up months in advance so I was prepared to be disappointed. But the weekend just before Don's birthday there were two nights open.  It was meant to be. I did'nt tell the family for months until a a couple of weeks before. I simple let that on that we were going "somewhere really fun for Papa's birthday.". Amara had some fits due to not knowing where we were going.  Amara wanted to tell her papa! She tried to coax me into telling her. But she's 5 and I knew she couldn't keep a secret. Two days before we were set to go, I spilled the beans much to everyone's delight.

Yes, the drive was long. Thankfully, the girls slept almost two out of the four hours. But those last two were a bit trying on us all. Yet it was so worth it to see the look in their eyes and on their faces when they had their first view of Yosemite.


First view of Yosemite. We trust this will be the first of many, lifelong visits for our family.

The girls found a squirels nest in this tree (or so they thought!). They couldn't resist getting a closer look!

Setting Sun Upon Ancient Granite.

Steve Riley, doing his shtick. And a good shtick it was!
When I planned out our weekend, I had envisioned hikes throughout the valley and walks through the meadows.  Of course, life happens as it happens. Thus my plans didn't happen! Instead, I was privileged to see Yosemite through the eyes of a 3 & 5 year old. Sometimes, the unplanned events are the most prized.  So through their eyes I got to explore squirrels nests, play in a cold river, make rock castels, make up games with sticks and be entertained by some extremely creative park rangers.

At the amphitheatre at Curry Village we got to take in some amazing shows put on for the little ones. Author and illustrator, Steve Riley, put on a funny and engaging show for both kids and adults alike. We purchased his book, Little Ty Cooney and the Yosemite Race, which he kindly signed for the girls. Another time, Amara participated in a class on the five senses and how the critters in Yosemite use them to survive. The class included a walk around the wooded area to see, feel, smell and touch some of the things found my those critters. (Thankfully, no tasting was involved.) But the best show was Ranger Ned's Big Adventure put on by two very talented men. The show took us through the history of Yosemite, from how the Valley was formed by glaciers and granite, to the original people's who lived there, to the first white visitor and up through Teddy Roosevelt's visit to the area and how it became a protected area and ending with the bears and how to protect them.  The show was engaging, funny, and educational. I think that this was a highlight for us
"Teddy Roosevelt"

Meeting one of the actors.

Trying on the bear costume!

And, yes, we did get in a couple of short hikes. One through a glorious meadow and another through the tall ponderosa, or as Havana called them, 'rondaposas' !


Can I just say, that I LOVE tripods! But setting up the camera and then trying to run back, barefoot,
along the rocks was not so fun on my feet. I like reflexology but not like that. A bit rough!

Havana and I made a rock castle!



And who'd of thought we would go to Yosemite and opt to go to the swimming pool? But the girls were so insistent. You can tell by Havana's face just how excited she was. I was more excited by the surrounding scenery. (I refused to get in the pool. Too cold for this Miami born gal!)

Amara got a kick out of the stop signs on the walking paths.





An evening visit to the Sweet Shop at the historic Ahwanhee hotel. The manicured lawn provided
about an hour of running around and playing hide and seek.



Amara too this photo of me!


Unfortunately, this stuffed bear was the closest we got to a bear.







Amara insisted on climbing  up this rock. It's hard to tell from the photo but she was pretty high up.





There is a lovely museum in the valley. It has artwork from some of the early non-indigenous people and pieces made from the original people. I was deeply moved to view paintings done a hundred years ago that reflected a Yosemite the same as I saw in  2012. And I was thankful for the opportunity for my girls to see the tools and baskets used by the Miwok and other tribes.






I loved this photo. It got me to think I should submit a photo of Amara in the Ergo and then in a hundred years, some tourist can see how it was done in my lifetime!


This replica of a sweat lodge also moved me. I will bring the girls to sweats when they are older. I have had many a healing and cleansing inside the walls of the lodge. I think if we all participated in this ritual we may be a bit happier and peaceful. But I think just going to sacred place like Yosemite can do the same thing. We all left feeling a little bit better than when we arrived.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! You really caught some amazing shots -- the girls gazing out on the mountains with their eyes full of wonder, the duo peering into the tree, you smooching Amara, Havana's stones, and Havana splashing. Well done!

    ReplyDelete

Oahu 2024

  It had been a long time since we were on Oahu. 2019 to be exact. Pre-Covid. We'd been to Maui, the Big Island (together and the former...