Tuesday, March 12, 2013

The Surpise (aka The Claremont)




Last month, I planned a surprise getaway for the family.  I found a great opportunity for us to spend some time at the historic Claremont Hotel & Spa in Oakland . We were all off on President's Day so it seemed the weekend prior seemed the perfect date for our little escape.A few days prior to our departure date, I presented the family with a letter. Amara did the honors of reading it aloud to the family. It instructed the family that we would be going on a "suprise visit" in two days time. I gave them a list of what to pack and when to be ready. The girls were just tickled by this. So much so that they ran to get their suitcases and began immediately packing. They left their packed bags in our bedroom as they eagerly awaited the day we left for "The Surprise." So we were all ready to go...

.....Until Amara got sick the day before we left. The girls were quite disappointed that we could not go on "The Surprise". Especially, Amara who kept checking her temperature every hour or so to see if she "was better" enough to go. I think she felt worse that "The Surprise" wasn't going to happen than she did having the flu.

When I called the Claremont to let them know we would not make it they were understanding and accommodating. They rescheduled us  for the following weekend.  When I update the family, woo-hoo's were heard throughout the house. But when the next weekend rolled around, guess what? It was Havana's turn to get sick. I called the Claremont again and once more,  they again kindly accommodated my need to change our arrival date. This time however, I  rescheduled for two weeks out figuring that would give plenty of time for us all to be healthy.

I tried to downplay "The Surprise", thinking they may not find it as great an idea as I did. I also gave the impression we would be taking a long car ride. When I asked Don to turn off Hgway 13 for a bagel stop (Old Brooklyn Bagels!) he second guessed me, "Are you sure we have time?" "Yes" and when we approached the Claremont and I told him to turn, I was met with giddy enthusiasm.  And after they got a good look, my girls, with their little selves, were quite taken with the enormity of the Claremont, "You said The Surprise wasn't a big deal Mama. But it is. You lied. It's very big", said my Amara Pearl, with Havana chiming in, "Yeah, it's big."

We ended up having a brilliant time. The service and accommodations at the Claremont are impeccable. The views breathtaking and Mother Nature was in our favor as well. The warm sun shone down with temperatures in the 70's which made pool time a favorite. I hope as the girls get older Don and I are able to instill in them how fortunate they are to have the opportunities they do. I know I am thankful that we have the ways and means to to enjoy such happy times.

I think it's safe to say that The surprise was a hit. Being close to home (not having to drive too far), not having to pack a boat load of stuff and having the opportunity to enjoy a local treasures was something I had not considered before but something I will consider again, and maybe sooner than later!
Early evening view of the Bay Bridge (from our room.)




Another room view; this one of the side of the hotel.

The girls got right to checking out every nook and cranny of our room. Amara found a silver ring in the drawer, which we promptly sent to the front desk.








A glimpse of part of the spa. It was heavenly to soak in the hot tub.





The girls enjoyed their time at the Kids Club. They colored, were fed snacks and made some new friends.




Waiting for dinner.


Sunset.

I never tire of seeing the Golden Gate Bridge. She really is a beauty. And having such a direct, clear view of her from our room was special.


Of course, we never, leave home without the girl's "babies."
Jacuzzi time after supper.
The lobby.


We ventured out to Rudy's Can't Fail Cafe (downtown Oakland) for breakfast.

Then back to the hotel for more exploring.
Remember this?
Then it was back to the pool for a couple of hours of splash time!!






1 comment:

  1. What a great post Anjahni! I loved the vision of the girls thinking it was a big deal when you got there. So rewarding! I felt so happy for you as a mama giving your girls this awesome experience and they really treasured it. You all look so happy!

    ReplyDelete

Oahu 2024

  It had been a long time since we were on Oahu. 2019 to be exact. Pre-Covid. We'd been to Maui, the Big Island (together and the former...