Sunday, May 12, 2013

Point Reyes, Part I~ The Elk (& one lone Coyote)


                          


Months ago, a co-worker told me about the elk and wildflower along the Pierce Point Ranch trail at Pt. Reyes. I knew immediately that I would bring the family up there to hike. I didn't tell the family any details. I just asked them if they would go with me on another 'surprise trip' (and I had to be very clear it wasn't the Claremont again!)

Despite good intentions, and planning, it took awhile for us to finally make it out there (some of the things that got in the way were a test to study for, a weekend to work, an illness, a wedding and sadly a death.) Finally, this weekend seemed to work out for us all.

I was so excited for our 'surprise trip' especially, if we came upon a herd of wild elk. Well, to my surprise, the elk showed up as we were driving along Pierce Point Road, ten minutes before the trail head. "Surprise" I told the girls! They were delighted by the countless elk that seemed gentle despite their size. I opened the sunroof, grabbed my camera, stuck my head through the sunroof and snapped away. At one point, I thought I saw a baby in the high grass but when I looked closer and saw it's pointed ears I realized it was a fox or coyote. Turned out to be the trickster (Coyote). And a cute one at that (photo below).

Once we made it to the trail, we didn't see one elk. But that was okay! We were grateful to be in their presence from the road.














No comments:

Post a Comment

Oahu 2024

  It had been a long time since we were on Oahu. 2019 to be exact. Pre-Covid. We'd been to Maui, the Big Island (together and the former...