Friday, January 10, 2014

Ice Skating!

 When the girls learned there was an outdoor skating rink in Yosemite they wanted to give it a try. I called and found out there were 3 daily sessions. Being early birds, we opted for the 8:30 a.m. session. Which turned out to be a smart move. It was frigid but not too crowded for two little people's first time on the ice.
Turned out Amara was much more enthusiastic. Havana was initially excited about after about fifteen minutes, mostly of staying close to the edge, she had enough. But that she at least gave it a try was enough to plant seeds.  She later opted to try the ice in just her boots!  
 This was Don's second time on ice skates and he did pretty good!



That's me getting in a few minutes or skating on the right. I as surprised that it was much easier than I anticipated to get back on skates after so long. When I was living in Rockland County, I used to skate on the frozen reservoir in the winter time. It was one of my favorite past times.  After all these years,  I wasn't great but I did okay! 

Views from the rink were breathtaking.
 Amara so love skating that she begged me to "please" take her again the next morning. So bright and early on Sunday out we went. I told Amara that I hoped she knew just how much I loved her because it was 28 degrees outside. Yes, I, Anjahni Davi, was outside, ice skating with Amara in 28 degree weather.  Although, it turned out I didn't ice skate with her. Amara took to the ice on her own. I figured she would stay close to the edge but it turned out that two younger people (a teen and an early twenty something) took to Amara and helped her skate around the rink. She had a blast and spent close to hour out there!

Half Dome in the background.

Amara with her new friend Vickie.

Ice skating turned out to be such a big hit that Amara made me pinky promise (where the heck did she learn that, I later wondered!) to go skating back home. I am hopeful that Ms. Havana will want to join us next time. I think we will try some kid lessons and have a go again real soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oahu 2024

  It had been a long time since we were on Oahu. 2019 to be exact. Pre-Covid. We'd been to Maui, the Big Island (together and the former...