Thursday, August 6, 2015

One Love One Heart One Family (Remembering Africa)

King of the Jungle at Masai Mara
Recent news of a famous lion, Cecil, killed  for sport in Africa has sparked outrage in the American public.  Petitions have been signed. Debates have begun. Cries for justice have been heard throughout the land. There are some who feel that hunting is okay. And to some extent I agree. When it is a matter of life or death (be it food or danger), then hunting is necessary. But more often that not it is not necessary. When it comes to killing off one of the Creator's magnificent creatures (be it four legged, winged or finned) for the sake of satisfying one's ego; well I find that tragic. (and there is no difference in my heart between this and animal factories for food).

When Don and I traveled to East Africa after we were married (Kenya, Uganda and the Congo), it was a dream made manifest. I had wanted to see cheetahs in the wild since I was a wee one in the 4th grade. I always knew that one day I would see the animal I resonated so closely with in it's natural habitat. As I got older and hit my teens I had some profound spiritual experiences that had been growing since I was a 9 year old in the 4th grade. I love animals. Deeply.  Over the years I came to understand these feelings more but when I stood before a Silverback in the Congo and saw his massive foot that so resembled mine, I knew, for sure, that we are all one, we are all connected. That ALL life is intertwined. Sure, we humans have larger and more evolved brains that separates us from a lion or hippo. But the energy of life is in each and every living breathing thing (and that includes the trees and plants). 

So in remembrance of that sacred, life changing journey to East Africa, I share some of my photos of some of the absolutely stunning, unique, magnificent beings.























No comments:

Post a Comment

Oahu 2024

  It had been a long time since we were on Oahu. 2019 to be exact. Pre-Covid. We'd been to Maui, the Big Island (together and the former...