Friday, June 17, 2016

7

  IMG_6123


HavanaBP1


Baby Girl is turning 7!


Seven doesn't quite have the same kick that Amara's turning 9 did. For that I am most thankful. I find myself taking a deep breath of relief that one of my girls is still chubby checked, not as cognitively or gross motor developed; that Havana still wants/needs help taking a bath, doesn't mind extra long cuddle time and in many ways is still the baby sister. Because time is moving way too fast and I want to relish in her young innocence as long as I can.


I must admit, at times, I get impatient. I forget that she and her sister are different. Two years at this age makes a huge difference. For example, Havana doesn't want to help as much as her sister but at that age Amara didn't either. I have to remind myself of that often.  


However, there is something to be said for having an older sister that Havana idolizes (and for attending a Montessori School). Havana tries to follow in her sister's footsteps (which drives Amara batty at times.) Just recently, she was in a cranky mood. She wanted to watch t.v. I said no. She wanted to play a game with me. I reminded her I had to cook dinner. When her pout face became too dramatic to ignore (Havana has quite the expressions), I suggested she join me in the kitchen. A month ago she would have said simply but stubbornly, "No." On that day, however, a month closer to seven, and after witnessing Amara help make multiple meals, she said, "Okay."  Havana pulled up her chair to the sink, washed her tiny hands and got to work. Baby Girl peeled and washed veggies and fruits for our smoothie.  She measured out the almond milk and put in the ice. Havana didn't drink the green concoction but boy was she proud to have made it.  Havana was also not afraid to get near a hot stove (unlike her sister!) Havana battered the food and put it in the pan. She patiently waited till it turned golden brown (Challah french toast!), flipped it and then took it out to put in the toaster oven to keep warm. I was quite surprised at all she accomplished. At six, not quite seven, I see her as Baby Girl, but the truth is, Havana is quite capable.



IMG_1649


Havana has surprised us in other ways as well recently. In the past, Havana was very shy about being on stage. She'll happily sing, dance and perform for Don, Amara and I, but in her dance classes, that's another story. More than once she refused to do participate in her shows.  Yet, earlier this month, at her school concert, Havana sang without fear played an instrument and had a role in short skit. Don and I both turned and looked at each other, in shock that our Havana was up there, so brave and doing so well.


IMG_6295


Havana is quite the creative little being. That side of her is unfolding more and more. She sings, loves to dance, can spend hours drawing. Havana has beautiful penmanship (she recently taught herself cursive!) and she writes out stories and poems. Her handwriting can look like calligraphy at times. It really is beautiful. Whenever there is a card needed for a birthday, Havana is our go to girl.  Now that school is out, she is spending three weeks in art camp. She told me after day three of camp, "I love art. I wish I could do it all day."  When I heard those words, I gave silent thanks that we are able to send the girls to art camp each summer. Havana is not only doing what she loves but will be improving her craft, which will build her confidence. Havana is shy at times and with a big sister, who takes up a lot of space (energetically), it's sweet to see Baby Girl shine in her own light. 


IMG_1461


Since she was little, long before she could read, Havana would sit and look at books for long periods of time. She would tell herself her own made up  story, entertaining herself. Reading itself took time for Havana. She finally got the hang of the written word toward the end of Kindergarten but it didn't really take off until the last half of first grade. Whereas she was not confident before, she sure is now. Her words flow off her tongue and she is reading everything in site.  But Havana still loves to be read to.  Every night, Don and Havana read one of those Daisy Meadow books. I personally have no tolerance for them. (same story, same plot, same Jack Frost and goblins!) but every night, there they are in bed, reading several chapters together. And every Wed, when Big Sis is at dance class, Havana and I go the library where she picks up another 3 or 4 Fairy books for her Papa to read to her!


IMG_7481





Havana is a strong willed little being but she is also extremely sensitive. I am discovering that she is quite emphatic. She feels things deeply and at times will break out crying but is not yet able to express what is going on for her. I am working on that with her. While she resists at times, I do sit with her to talk about what is going on. When Havana gets herself into trouble (like hitting her sister or throwing food she doesn't want to eat), she will refuse to talk about what happened with me and doesn't like to apologize. But you can bet that within a short period of time there will be a letter in the mail box with a drawing on it from her. That is her way of saying I am sorry. (but her drawings are not limited to apologies. Havana makes cards and pictures for us all time!) Overall, however, Havana is a happy little girl. Her joyful heart shines through.


 


215


With her approaching seventh birthday, I know she will change and grow. I know I can't keep her a little girl forever but Baby Girl will always be my Baby Girl and I look forward to seeing this delicate, vibrant, flower continue to unfold. 


 


HavanaBP3


Kauaii7


018


Havana


008


  IMG_6646



No comments:

Post a Comment

Oahu 2024

  It had been a long time since we were on Oahu. 2019 to be exact. Pre-Covid. We'd been to Maui, the Big Island (together and the former...