Friday, January 13, 2017

Operation Luvey and Ellie Return to Normal


Luvey and Ellie are a part of our family and have been since Amara was six and nine weeks old. I am not exaggerating when I say they go everywhere with Amara; to school; to the doctor; to camp; next to her head at night; in the car and of course, on each trip we have made. That giraffe and elephant pair have been to Hawaii, Argentina, New York, Florida and on two road trips (Arizona and Yellowstone) as well as to Canada, Mexico, Georgia, So-Cal, weddings, camping....everyplace Amara has gone, Luvey and Ellie are right besides her.

With one exception.....

Last Spring, I took them to get "plastic surgery" as they were falling apart. It was hard enough for Amara to separate from them for a couple of weeks. But imagine the shock when they returned completely different. I am not sure what possessed the doll maker to remake them with different colors, adding old parts to new parts. Even Havana was devastated, bursting into tears the day they came back home. I felt like I had completely failed as a mom and I felt a huge sense of loss as well.

Months went by and Amara sort of got used to them. Sortof.....until one day I found a real doll repair person and with much coaxing off they went again. I was told it would be a week. Well that turned into two weeks, which turned into a month and finally three months later (with so many tears spilled), Luvey and Ellie came home for good. This time, as their old, real selves. They still look well loved but they were much cleaner than prior and their repairs complete. The entire family sighed a huge breath of relief when Luvey and Ellie made it back, safe and sound. It turned out that while Amara may be their mama, they belong to all of us just as equally. We are so glad they are home for good. 

Above is a photo of them soon after they got home. Amara had a winter concert at school and asked me to put them in my purse so they could watch! Ah, life's back to normal!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oahu 2024

  It had been a long time since we were on Oahu. 2019 to be exact. Pre-Covid. We'd been to Maui, the Big Island (together and the former...