Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Breadfruit

Breadfruit. One of my most favorite foods. I first tried breadfruit in Jamaica in 1988, when some Rasta Bredren were cooking ital food. Breadfruit has been found in the warmer climates all across Oceania. Brought from the South Pacific to the Caribbean to feed the slaves because it was a high energy, cheap food it is now found on both the islands of the Caribbean region and in countries in Central America. It can also be found in Southeast Asia, Africa and is believed to have been born in New Guinea.  

Breadfruit is a tree that has perhaps the highest yielding of any fruit tree. I have learned that different cultures cook it in different ways. I am old school when it comes to my breadfruit. Roast it, slice it, fry it in a tad bit of oil with a touch of sea salt. Boiled is okay too but roasted;How I wish I could have some of that nutty, starchy,healthy food right now.

Breadfruit is hard to come by in California. When I lived in New York, which has a very large West Indian population, I could find breadfruit (and my other island staples) fairly easily. On most return trips from visiting family in Miami/South Florida (another large West Indian community), you will find my suitcase packed with a breadfruit or two. 

On our recent trip to Hawaii, we saw young breadfruit while going on our one lone hike. Sadly,it was not ready to eat. I was so disappointed that I stood under that breadfruit tree for about five minutes, with great longing! I wasn't able to get the breadfruit and had to do with some photos instead. Not the same but it would just have to do!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Oahu 2024

  It had been a long time since we were on Oahu. 2019 to be exact. Pre-Covid. We'd been to Maui, the Big Island (together and the former...