Saturday, September 8, 2018

Colorado Bound



This summer, we flew to Colorado for a week of visiting family and friends. We were looking forward to that, along with quality time out in nature. Our favorite things all in one.

I have a special place in my heart for Colorado. My childhood therapist/later mentor, sent me there for a four week backpacking life changing trip the summer I graduated high school (you can read that story here; http://twosmallgems.blogspot.com/2012/05/one-love-one-heart.html). Other than an overnight stop over during my move to California, I had not been back. I was excited to see the land that left a deep impression in my seventeen year old heart along with connecting with family and friends. Our family was also curious about Colorado as a possible place to relocate. 

The week went by fast. The altitude and heat caused a few bumps in the road for the mood of our young people. But the beauty of Colorado, along with sharing joyful moments with loved ones, made for a good summer holiday. We left feeling that Colorado was not 'home' but a place we would return to for sure. 

As usual, I took a gazillion photos. This is the first a small series, mostly of those we visited with.

with cousin Scott

With Elemijin, a friend from our school who moved last year. Elemijin and her parents are people we really miss here in the Bay Area.  Havana esp misses her school mate and Girl Scout buddy. They were inseparable for two days.

Elemjin's mom, Willie, took us to their favorite ice cream place. Oh my, it was the bomb!

Out for a hike.

We spent two nights at Elemijn's. The first night, the girls camped out in their RV!

                                                                           
                                                                     

Don with Gijs, Elemijin's dad, on a hike outside boulder.
                                                                             

With Uncle Edd
With cousin's Keslee and Lennin

Being with their young cousins was a highlight of the trip. The girls loved being with Kes and Lenni.

With Aunt Janet, cousin Reba and Kes. 
Since we flew out on Havana's birthday, she wanted to celebrate again, with her with family. I found a Carvel cake and so we sang and had  ice cream cake in the hot Colorado sun. 
My friend Benji, who the girls thought was funny and silly. They also loved his long locks! Benji and I met in the 90's when I was still sporting my locks.  It was fun reminiscing about old friends, New York and learning from him what life in Colorado is like. I was bummed we didn't met his kids though. Next time!
With Samantha and Marie Grace. Don and I planned a surprise trip to the AG store.  It was a huge hit!!! (both to their mood and our wallet!!!)
                                                         
With my friend Jamie, his wife Diane and two of his three kids, Benji and Darren, hidden in back! Jamie and I met when I was about 14 (his mom was that childhood therapist/later mentor).  We spent a lovely day with them. We played games, learned how to play pickleball and ate some of Jamie's yummy food, which fuels his 50-100 mile runs. (Amara was esp impressed by all his medals!)


Fire sunset of our first night.













No comments:

Post a Comment

Oahu 2024

  It had been a long time since we were on Oahu. 2019 to be exact. Pre-Covid. We'd been to Maui, the Big Island (together and the former...