Saturday, March 21, 2020

On the Road to Puerto Viejo






When Costa Rica called at my heart strings, it was the natural world that got me the most excited. Costa Rica lies on both the Pacific Ocean and Caribbean Sea. Most tourists make their way to the surfing beaches of the Pacific. I had absolutely no inkling to head that way. That on the east was my beloved Caribbean was all I needed to know. Ever since I set eyes on the Caribbean Sea at age 19 I knew that that part of the world would always feel like home. Many places call to me but when I find myself in the turquoise waters of the Carib it's like a mother's warm embrace. 

Don having lived eight years in Jamaica himself could relate to my love for this sea. He had traveled to Costa Rica some twenty years ago but not to the eastern side of the country. I was thankful that as a family, we shared in exploring this new destination together. Panama provided both coasts as well (and we did spend time on both). Without any solicitation from me, both girls also felt that our time in the Carib was really special. When we left the remote national park in the north (which was also on the Carib side but we were more in the jungle) we were filled with anticipation.

It was a long but tranquil drive to the Limon Provence. Puetro Viejo, where we'd hole up for the remainder of our time, lay almost at the southeastern part of the country.  Along the way, we passed through a lot of open space,  some ranches, countless rivers and small towns until we arrived in Limon, the capital city of the province. Not wanting to extend an already long day, we picked up supplies at the local farmers market, grabbed a take away lunch, some new flip flops and continued on. It was also really hot so we were not at all encouraged to walk around the concrete jungle.


 Even though we just glimpsed at Limon, I knew what had I read to be true; that on this side of the coast were people of African decent. Jamaicans settled her in the late 1880's influencing the culture in many ways including music, food and the sound of patios.  Not only could we find breadfruit, yam and green banana but the style of cooking was quite similar to yard (that is another name for Jamaica). Almost immediately, I had fantasies of tossing away my passport, finding a small house to rent (away from the city) and settling down. I truly feel at home in the environment I encountered.


When we arrived to Puetro Viejo, the sun still strong in the sky, the girls didn't make haste of jumping into the pool at our villa in the jungle. While I really wanted a room in the jungle with a view of the sea but that was hard to find.  I had certain boxes to tick off when booking a room with two small travelers. A pool is in the top three. Havana especially not only enjoys the pool but it is soothing and calming for her.  A pool also keeps the girls entertained. I often refuse to get in the pool so Don and the girls can spend hours together playing.

Since I could not find all that what I wanted, I had to choose between jungle and sea. Just a mile into the hills, the possibility of waking to howlers, toucans and other wildlife won over but every day of our stay found us at the sea.


I had only one regret when we had to pack up to had back to San Jose. That was that our time was far too short. Being on a school break did not allow for us to settle more deeply. We all agreed that we wanted to return but next time for a more extended stay.





                                                                                            
                                                           

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oahu 2024

  It had been a long time since we were on Oahu. 2019 to be exact. Pre-Covid. We'd been to Maui, the Big Island (together and the former...