Monday, April 4, 2022

P A N A M A ~ B A B Y



After two years of no international travel we took the leap in February and said, "Addios California" and off we went. With Covid slowing decreasing in the USA and across many countries (but not all sadly), I had enough ants in my pants to get us moving. It had been two years since we had a new stamp in the old passport and I was so ready. So with sloths in our minds and hearts, as well as tropical sun and sea calling, we packed our carry-on's and headed to Panama for our second time. 

Panama had low covid cases, everyone was wearing masks, many had already had their booster shots and there were no coocoo for coco puff conspiracy theorists running amok. It felt safe and very doable. Amara would spend the first 4 days doing volunteer work with rescued sloths and then we'd explore the Caribbean islands of Bocas and then the cooler inland terrain of Boquette. There were some challenging (and painful) glitches but overall, it was a much, much needed getaway. 

I gave thanks for this most fortunate opportunity every morning, every afternoon and every night before I dozed off to sleep. Even when I lost my wallet, on the first day from the airport and when I had an injury in the Caribbean, on our first day there, resulting in serious facial wounds, I was thankful to the point of daily tears. I was full of DEEP gratitude that our family had the ways and means to make such a journey, especially while still in a global pandemic. We all needed the strong sun to seep into our bones. The winter blues and the on-going pandemic were wearing us down back home (like every other human on the planet-which is where the gratitude lay, knowing we could and did take this sojourn). When we reached Central America, the blue skies, balmy days and culture that was similar to our own were the perfect remedy for our hearts, minds and souls

Here are a few simple photos from the first days. When the depression I had been feeling started to life, I resorted back to my camera to take some better photos. But for now this was all I could muster. 

It was 12:40 AM when our 7 hour flight took off. We were all a bit tired!

can you tell they are tired?

a few of the 'modern' Panama City from the 'old' city.

After 4 months of no fruit, I was over the moon for this green drink with tropical fruits.


A pool with a view.

Casco Viejo, on our first night.





 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Oahu 2024

  It had been a long time since we were on Oahu. 2019 to be exact. Pre-Covid. We'd been to Maui, the Big Island (together and the former...