Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Kimberly (Mi Hermana)



When I was about fourteen years old, I found my adoption papers. Mind you, I always knew I was adopted. Just didn't know the details. My mom had put aside the paperwork for the day (when and if) I wanted it. By the time I reached fourteen, I had been thinking about my birth mother for many years. I never thought about the possibility that I might have other siblings. I can still recall that day, standing in my mom's room with those papers in my hand; "...two siblings... A brother named Robert Fernandez and a sister named Kimberly Fernandez by Susan's marriage to Onario Fernandez before he was killed in a car accident on the Seven Mile Bridge in the Florida Keys" and thinking "A brother and sister? I have to find them." 

Fast forward several, and sparing the many details, my sister and I were reunited in 1992. She was the first family I talked to when I first made contact with my bio family. And since that phone call twenty-two years ago, my sister and I have grown to be very close. We may have missed the first twenty-two years of my life we have made up for more than that the last twenty-two. Kim's presence is an important part of my life and the life of my children. I didn't have a sister growing up and finding my bio family meant a whole heap of sisters (5 on my bio dads side, I later discovered.) But my relationship with my big sister Kimberly is especially sweet and special. I am most thankful that it was meant to be that we landed in each other's lives after so many years apart.
With our big brother Bobby.


Susan, our mother.
                                  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oahu 2024

  It had been a long time since we were on Oahu. 2019 to be exact. Pre-Covid. We'd been to Maui, the Big Island (together and the former...