Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Mama Field Trip



 

 I miss the times when on my day off I can do fun things with my gals.  Sure, I enjoy my new found freedom on Fridays when I can do as I please (like do errands in peace or get an occasional foot massage) but sometimes I long for adventures and outings that create memories with with my two favorite little ladies.

This past Monday the kids were off from school so we had the opportunity to have a mama and gals day. It felt like old times.

I was most thankful to our good friends Alissa and Justin who invited us along on a San Francisco adventure. Together we boarded the ferry at Larkspur Landing (a first for us) and off we went to explore and have fun. We also learned some things along the way.

First lesson was San Quentin. Amara was the only one who had questions about prisons and she was surprised only men lived there and unlike Alcatraz it was still inhabited. Because I spent almost ten years working in some of NYS's prisons, I couldn't help but take some photographs as we rode past.

 Amazing architectural sites, both modern and new were were part of our day. We saw the TransAmerica Pyramid which was built between 1969 &1972 and is the tallest building in the city. And then there was the Ferry Building, where we docked, which was built in the late 1890's but has given a twenty first century update. You can find all kinds of Bay Area treats inside including kale chips (which Justin devoured on the return trip), to gourmet coffees and pastries, gelato, sandwiches and more. There are also clean bathrooms which this parent (and I am assuming most parents) was most thankful for.


 

Alissa led us across the street from the
Ferry Building to the Hyatt hotel where
we road the glass elevator up 14 floors to
some breath taking views of the city.
Easy, cheap thrills that tickled the kids.



We  were all delighted to see our Ferry on it's return to Larkspur Landing from such a high view.

We then hopped the MUNI to Chinatown to take a short but interesting tour of a fortune cookie factor. Along the way the kids met Zoltar and got their fortunes told!






























There are always so many things
to see in Chinatown. The colors,
smells, knickknacks, people. It
was hard not to stop in every store
and look inside or to stop on the
corner and people watch.



 We packed a few fun things in a few hours and then we headed back home; tired but with , a few chachkies, a bag of fortune cookies and some new memories..







No comments:

Post a Comment

Oahu 2024

  It had been a long time since we were on Oahu. 2019 to be exact. Pre-Covid. We'd been to Maui, the Big Island (together and the former...