Thursday, October 30, 2014

Real Food

Living in the Bay Area has provided a great life. Except when it comes to food from back home. Yes, we have the best local organic produce here and there are so many types of restaurants that you could eat out for a year and never eat in the same place twice. But.....it's close to impossible to find food from the Caribbean.
So every year when I go to Miami I visit Jamaican and Cuban markets so I can resupply my pantry and have a few meals with fresh produce.

During my recent brief visit I stocked up on Jamaican peppermint tea, scotch bonnet pepper sauce, fresh scotch bonnet peppers (Don has been trying to them in the garden so I am hoping the seeds will take from the ones I brought home), breadfruit, calaloo and some Blue Mt. coffee. There were other things I brought home like Cuban pastries and plantain chips for the girls to enjoy.

It was thrilling just to be in a grocery store that had the foods that I love the most. I was so excited to see these foods that I had to take photographs; their colors, sizes and shapes make for the perfect photos; At least in my eyes! In the few days since I have returned, I have looked longingly at many of the photos, wishing I could shop weekly for these items....












No comments:

Post a Comment

Oahu 2024

  It had been a long time since we were on Oahu. 2019 to be exact. Pre-Covid. We'd been to Maui, the Big Island (together and the former...