Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Road Runner

Amara, Coach Nori in white, and Emerson going strong.
(another parent gracefully shared this photo!)
 For the past several months, Amara, along with multi-age peers from her running club at school (Montessori Family School) have been training for the 5K in the Oakland Running Festival. I was hesitant at first, I mean a 7 year old running...I wasn't convinced. But it wasn't like running was foreign to Amara. There have been a few occasions when she has joined me on a run and she has enjoyed it more than I have (I am not a runner and the emphasis is on a few), to the point where she has asked me go for a run. Ha!

So twice a week since winter started, Amara and her school buddies have trained for the big day. The idea of doing a race, getting a metal, all while being with her friends made this not only a big day but a  Big Deal Day. So on the morning of the 22nd we got up before dawn, made our way to pick up some friends and headed to downtown Oakland.

For my own part, I have wanted to do a 5K since I started working out with my boot camp almost two years ago. I am not a runner but the idea of pushing myself physically has been good rx in my own evolution. Since the girls were born I have struggled with health and weight. Exercise has always been an important part of my life but even more so now that I am  an older parent. I also want to role model to both my girls the importance of exercise.  So while Amara may have chosen to run with her peers and coach I took this opportunity to meet my own goal. We may not have run together but we did our first 5 K together (and here the emphasis is first!) and that was enough motivation for me to sign up and make this goal a reality.

The day of the race the air was charged. Seeing all Amara's peers juiced up and ready to go was pretty special. I was privy to help out a few training days and I saw the comradery then, but on race day, all the kids were pumped up and cheering each other on.  It was an honor to be part of this awesome Montessori Family Running Club.

Amara ended up timing pretty amazing for a 7 year old. Ms. Road Runner did the race in 31.02. I was so proud of her. I may not have ran with her (my time was a poor 40.17) but she was my encouragement during the race and I set a goal for next year; 2016 our whole family will run with the running club. 
Pre-Race

With some of her classmates.

Post Race

We did it!
So thankful to our friend Karen who came to cheer her son on and held onto my camera.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Oahu 2024

  It had been a long time since we were on Oahu. 2019 to be exact. Pre-Covid. We'd been to Maui, the Big Island (together and the former...