Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Pow Wow












 The Original Americans have been a crucial part of my life. Starting at the age of seventeen, which was around the time I was having my first spiritual awakenings, different tribes have played instrumental roles in the building of my core self. From the Hopi's I saw do a rain dance on 2nd Mesa and taught me to believe in prayer and the power of the Creator; to the Shaman who saved my life during my first year at Prescott College and taught me to respect and honor all life; To the Todhono O'odham brother who befriended me during high school and taught me Bon Jovi crosses cultures. From my days in far Northern California when I did vision quests, sweat lodges and prayed all night in the Native American Church, where my faith deepened, where I learned to trust that I had strong intuition, and where I learned to trust the other worlds; to my Blood/Black Foot brother who healed an illness with prayer and medicine, which taught me that Western medicine is only one way to healing; to the South American Medicine Men and Women, whose ceremony aided in the healing of wounds that began at my birth; To the the pow wow's, rituals and more, where I learned to honor Grandfather Fire, Mother Earth and All My Relations; I have been blessed to have the presence and gifts be part of the foundation of who I am.

It is because of these things, that I try to teach my most precious daughters, the importance of those gifts. They know about holy sage and cedar; the importance of honoring the full moon; how to properly receive a gift and that we are all connected. My girls are young; so these lessons must be modeled and taught repeatedly but I trust that they will become part of their foundation as well.

Recently I have the opportunity to take Havana to the Indigenous People's Pow Wow in Berkeley. Havana shies away from loud noises and as we approached the park, she resisted. With some coaxing, we proceeded and like magic, once she saw the dances with her own eyes, she was mesmerized. She led me to a shaded spot on the grass, where we took it all in. I was sick that day, had a wicked cold, but my heart and soul were happy, being in that auspicious place with my Baby Girl.

Havana later got herself some earring and made a necklace, her own medicine necklace, the sister told us. Havana has been wearing them proudy since.  

In the years since I became a mother, I have let slide some of my daily practice. Yet, I never forget to give thanks to the Creator and honor the earth. However, there are times when I long for ritual and ceremony. So on that day, in the park, watching that pow wow, it was like a drink of water on a hot, humid day. And for thank I say, Give Thanks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oahu 2024

  It had been a long time since we were on Oahu. 2019 to be exact. Pre-Covid. We'd been to Maui, the Big Island (together and the former...