Thursday, January 12, 2017

Festival of Lights



This Hanukkah, our family continued the tradition of lighting the menorah with our cousins, Ben, Theo, Jenny and David. This year, Aunt Judy and Uncle Tim joined us, making the tradition all the more special.

 It's a sweet tradition, and while we were preparing for the meal, I found myself feeling most thankful that my children were making more Hanukkah memories with their cousins. Together, we shared a satisfying meal of latkes (complete with Aunt Judy's homemade applesauce) and matzo ball soup. We ended the meal with presents and gelt, of course.

 This year, Hanukkah also brought some unexpected darkness into our festivities. Just before we were ready to gathering at the table, I received a life changing phone call from my mother; my own cousin, Larry, whom I shared my childhood Hanukkah's with, passed away suddenly. Larry made his transition, on Hanukkah Sabbath. The evening afterwards was bittersweet; one the hand, I was most grateful for being with our California family, making cherished, meaningful memories. On the other hand, my entire being was trying to make sense of one of life's most difficult realities. Mostly, I was reminded of the nature of human life; that it can change in a minute but that like the candles that miraculously burned, we never know what to expect and that perhaps staying open to our truths and trusting in the Divine Order of life, in both the light and the dark, is the best course.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Oahu 2024

  It had been a long time since we were on Oahu. 2019 to be exact. Pre-Covid. We'd been to Maui, the Big Island (together and the former...