Thursday, November 28, 2013

Hanukkah



 Hanukkah is very early this year, falling on the day before Save the Turkey Day (aka Thanksgiving Day). Folks are making a big deal out of the unusual closeness of holidays, calling it Thanksgivukkah because it is the first time this has ever happened. To be honest, I could care less. While I cherish time with loved ones, especially when we break bread together, I have long felt that Thanksgiving lost some of it's original meaning with the whole Black Friday thing. I am also an animal lover and I hate the idea of millions of turkeys cruelly raised, killed and eaten. Even as a child/teen my thoughts ran like this  (became a vegetarian at the age of 15) and one of the things I appreciated most about being raised in a Jewish home was that our holidays and holy days were never made to feel commercialized or mainstream. The days we held sacred felt insulated, protected, honored.  There was no materialism thrown on them. Yes, presents were given at Hanukkah but there wasn't the frenetic and chaotic that surrounds the days between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I wish we could take the money making out of the equation and return to what Thanksgiving and Christmas were intended for; time to reflect and give thanks and time to honor the presence of the Divine and the changing of the seasons.  

I am not religious (a cultural Jew for sure, just not an observant one) and Hanukkah is usually celebrated in a very minimal way in our home but this year we did make menorahs with our friends (http://twosmallgems.blogspot.com/2013/11/menorah-making.html; ) which was not only super-fun but so much more meaningful than buying a menorah. I made latkes for the girls (once I learned that at least one of the girls would eat them-Amara-I was more motivated to make the effort) and I bought a few presents that were carefully thought out (I didn't want to do the one a day for eight days so I gave them a few things at once).  And during the days leading up to Hanukkah I went to Amara's class with a bunch of dreidels and gelt. The kids had a blast. And we read some Hanukkah stories where I emphasized the power of Creator to make a miracle anywhere, anytime for anyone.

This year, I have discovered that I love the rituals that I am familiar with. And I found myself surprised at the memories that kept popping into my mind. Warm friend potatoes reminded me of my father who loved latkes. And that memory brought a sense of peace and gratitude for my father who brought stability and comfort to my life. When I was wrapping presents I was transported back to my cousins house,  to a Hanukkah when my Uncle Norman gave my cousin Julie and I an Easy Bake Oven and my cousin Alaine gave me a blue stuff dog that played music. I remembered feeling included, a part of, my family and that was just as important, more so, than the gifts themselves.

So this year, we expanded our Hanukkah celebrations and in doing so I pray that we have created wonderful memories for my girls to carry forward with them.
We had to light two menorahs because the girls had to light their own.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Oahu 2024

  It had been a long time since we were on Oahu. 2019 to be exact. Pre-Covid. We'd been to Maui, the Big Island (together and the former...