Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Family Reunions

 The girls great Grandma Ruth and great Uncle Wayne are currently visiting in California. So this past weekend, up to Uncle Dennis' house we went for a short but sweet visit. I cherish any time with my grandmother and uncles. It means a great deal to me that my daughters get to spend time with them as well. Connecting with one's roots can be a good thing. There are stories to tell, dynamics to work through, jokes to share and family recipes to share (this visit it was the consensus that none us can make frejoles negros like grandma. My sister Kim comes in a close second but grandma takes first prize for that one!)

I didn't grow up with my bio family but when I am with them it's as if I was never separated from them. I am grateful that my girls will never have to be left wondering about their history as I did. Time with their family means they get to know who they are and where they come from (and in Havana's case, who she looks like) (Amara is more the spitting image of Don's family.)

It was a short but lovely visit and I look forward our next visit, which Creator willing, will be in Georgia next year.

Grandma with Uncle Dennis (left) and Uncle Wayne (right)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Oahu 2024

  It had been a long time since we were on Oahu. 2019 to be exact. Pre-Covid. We'd been to Maui, the Big Island (together and the former...