Monday, February 23, 2015

Reading!!


As a mother of two very different little people, I have long attempted to be mindful in how I approach the girls when it comes to parenting. Be it teaching, feeding, disciplining or een encouraging them, I have to had to connect differently with Havana than I do with Amara. Amara is louder, curious, and a bit intense (kind of like her mother!) Baby Girl is quieter, imaginative and proceeds in her life with a softer touch (kind of like Don!) Sure, they share some similar traits but they are two very different souls with two distinct personalities (Gemini with a Capricorn rising and cancer with a Libra rising; need I say more!)

Learning to read was one area where the girls differences really stood out. Amara wanted to learn to read when she was just four (read about Amara's process here http://twosmallgems.blogspot.com/2012/04/learning-to-read.html). Havana, while she has always enjoyed being read to and has looked at books my herself did not show much progress until she started K. Initially,  Havana came home with a few word lists that she was so proud to read to Don and I. Then she stopped (you can read about that the first steps she took with reading here;  http://twosmallgems.blogspot.com/2014/09/first-words-havana-is-learning-to-read.html.) Weeks and months went by and she refused to read to us. Other than those few words we didn't think she could read. When I would try to gently coax her she would get mad and state loudly, "I can't read." Baby Girl has to be really upset to raise her voice.

So a few weeks ago, Don came home after seeing Tia Paula (a K teacher of many decades and who was instrumental with us helping teach Amara to read) and expressed his concerns about Havana's lack of reading. I eventually emailed her teachers and the head of school to convey our worry. A meeting was set up for us to discuss Havana's lack of reading. Come to find out, Havana was reading, in class though, just not at home. Her wonderful teachers, Trina and Logan along with Henry (head of school) showed us her work and shared what they thought was the issue. One of which was perhaps Havana's fear of us no longer reading to us if she began to read herself.

Don and I walked away from that meeting feeling empowered and encouraged. I had a heart to heart with Havana that evening that I would keep reading to her until I was 100 (if she wanted!) while Don went out the next day and picked up the Bob Books (see below) that were suggested to us. And that was all it took.

Ms. Havana has devoured those books. Every night she reads to both of us (we have to take turns though! Don goes first then he leaves and it's my turn!) We have since expanded to some other easy readers. Just last night, Havana asked to see my book so she could pick out the words she knows. Wow! What a huge difference from just a few weeks ago. I have taken other suggestions from the school to enhance BabyGirl's reading and overall it has been a joy to watch Havana become so proud of herself as she is reading more than just a few words on a word list.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Oahu 2024

  It had been a long time since we were on Oahu. 2019 to be exact. Pre-Covid. We'd been to Maui, the Big Island (together and the former...