Monday, April 23, 2012

Learning to Read

It dawned on Don and I last summer, while on holiday up in Banff, that Amara was interested in learning to read. She started to ask "What does that say?" about just about everything. I would tell her, "Lock" when she asked what was the word on the car door handle or "Exit" while noticing the sign above doors. She asked about traffic signs,labels and food packages. She asked what almost everything said (or so it seemed) and would get upset if we didn't answer fast enough! Finally, about two or three days into this new behavior I turned to her and asked, "Amara, do you want to learn to read?" 

Amara's strong answer of  "YES"  didn't surprise me much. Since birth, Amara has wanted to learn and learn some more. So when we got home we talked to her teachers and together we all started to teach my bright little monkey how to read.

I am a strong believer in following my children's lead when it comes to learning new things vs. pushing my agenda. Thus, I wanted us to move at a pace that she was comfortable with. In both her old and new school, I made it clear with her teachers that Amara was more than capable of letting us know where she was at with learning, if things were too hard or if she wanted more and to respect her knowing of herself. Her new teacher has told me that several times, Amara has firmly said, "That's too hard. I don't want to do it" and refused the work the teacher gave to her. That's my girl!!

At home, I have printed out worksheets and Nana bought her the Hooked on Phonics learning to read program.  We have gotten many a 'first reader' book at the library and read through them with her. So as a family and with her school, and along with her fierce determination, Amara began to read within 2 months of her "Yes" declaration.

I am proud to say, that another several months out, that my girl is reading between 35-40 words and everyday she reads books to Don, Havana and I!

 I am not proud because she is reading so much as I am proud that she accomplished something she wanted to do. She is so proud of herself and as a mother, that means more than words can express.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Oahu 2024

  It had been a long time since we were on Oahu. 2019 to be exact. Pre-Covid. We'd been to Maui, the Big Island (together and the former...