Friday, April 13, 2012

Spring Holy Days

Some spring holy days have come and gone this past week. It was a busy but fun several days of celebrating with family and friends.

Growing up Jewish, I always enjoyed Seder at my Aunt Maxine & Uncle Norman's. Being with my family was always fun & meaningful, even if it meant sitting through those l o n g Seders! This year, we were invited to Seder at our friends, Alissa, Steve & their cutie, Justin (Havana's gymnastics buddy). It would be my first in years and I was very excited.

It was a lovely Seder, held outside and catered to the fact that there were three 2ish year olds and one 4 1/2 year old. That meant it was not too long but we covered that which was most important. Havana, along with Justin and new friend Zach, enjoyed passover by running around and playing with Justin's toys! Amara was able to listen to the prayers and explanations and she tried several new foods. Don enjoyed his first Seder too. He was lucky in that it was not a more traditional one (i.e. one that goes on for hours!) And, if I may boast, Amara helped me make the matzoh ball soup!





Even though I am not religious (spiritual but not religious) I love the symbolism in this holy day; we get to think about those who were enslaved, how they were set free and what that freedom meant to them. We get to reflect on Moses & fellow Jews doubting Creator pre &  post freedom and the consequences of those doubts.






I made mention, on FB, of some of the questions I like to ask at this time of the year;

Where in my life am I a slave?

How can I set myself free?

Do I project a pharoh image on someone or something in my life?

When do I doubt?

What would support me in trusting more?

Because Passover was Yeshua's last supper, Easter was a couple of days later.
We spent time in the morning with our moms group at our annual Easter Egg Hunt. (For those who don't know I moderate a mom's group that is becoming a wonderful, growing community; WestCoCoMoms). My friends Val and Tiffany (and some of the other moms) helped create a great egg hunt for the little people! So much fun!

Some of Don's family, and one of my cousins, met us at the park and then later joined us back at home for brunch. It was a warm, sunny day. A real spring day, perfect for all the goings on. The girls were physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually full from all the good times with friends and family. It was a good day!

I also love the symbolism that Easter represents and I asked myself these questions:
What in my life has died but that I would like resurrected?

What in my life would I like to be be reborn?

These holy days mean different things for different people (and nothing for some). It is my intention to teach the girls about holy days from many cultures and to incorporate some of them/their meaning, into our lives that will teach them how to BE more fully every day, not just on isolated days. A lofty goal and perhaps too ideal, but in my search for healing and peace I know seeking the divine, or rather remembering the divine that is always present, is what makes for a richer and more fulfilling life.








                                                   





























No comments:

Post a Comment

Oahu 2024

  It had been a long time since we were on Oahu. 2019 to be exact. Pre-Covid. We'd been to Maui, the Big Island (together and the former...