Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Hawaiian Wisdom


One of the sweetest moments so far on this trip to O'ahu happened unplanned and out of the blue. Life is like that, isn't it? We can plan, worry, analyze, try to figure it all out. But the truth is, life will happen as it does and it always seems to work out. A lesson I keep having to be reminded of.

After a hike that didn't turn out quite like I thought (4 happy hikers turned into 2 happy hikers, 1 fussy hiker and 1 coaxing hiker. It still turned out okay but...), we made our way back to our car, only to be stopped by the captivating sounds of a ukulele, accompanied by the voice of a (male angel). I stopped in my tracks to watch a group of Hawaiian folks sitting in a circle, under a canopy, singing traditional songs that soothed my heart and soul. When the girls decided to play on some tire and rope swings nearby, I thankfully sat on a log, so I could take in more of their sweet, sweet music.

When we finally got ready to leave, I noticed that the singer was a stereotypical large Hawaiian brother. How could that soft, soothing voice coming from such a large being? Life is sure is funny like that; unexpected, mysterious, humorous, joyful. 

As we got closer to our car, I noticed signs in front of their yard; statements of truth and wisdom. It was like the Universe had perfectly orchestrated it all; from fussy, to sweet, to profound. To top it off, the big guy glanced over and caught my eye and gave me a wave goodbye. I felt much gratitude at it all and set a silent prayer to remember the divine lessons of that moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oahu 2024

  It had been a long time since we were on Oahu. 2019 to be exact. Pre-Covid. We'd been to Maui, the Big Island (together and the former...