Wednesday, February 8, 2017

It's a Family Affair



Family; the people whom you share mutual love, respect, trust, deep loyalty and fierce protection with. I think most would agree that family is not always those you have a blood connection with. Often it is, but not always.  In my own bio family, there are many members whom I don't share a connection with. And that's okay. I didn't grow up with them. I have deep bonds with the family I did spend my childhood with. But there are a small handful of my bio family, like my sisters Kimberly and Nat, who have a special place in my heart, and whom I couldn't imagine this life without. Ditto for both my bio grandmothers, who at 91 and 92, remain strong figures in my life. 

Which is why this trip to Florida was especially sweet. The girls didn't really remember their aunts or Grandma Melba as it had been several years since we made our way to South Florida. Yet, they both felt right at home the minute they saw their family. The girls also got to meet Uncle Timmy (Kim's spouse), and it was love at first site. And, of course, we spent time at Nana's, who the girls couldn't wait to be with and whom they didn't want to leave. 

It was a lovely week of making memories in the land of my birth, with some of the people I love the most. I have quite the complicated family history but I would not change it for anything in the world. It's what makes my world all the better and much more interesting. 

















No comments:

Post a Comment

Oahu 2024

  It had been a long time since we were on Oahu. 2019 to be exact. Pre-Covid. We'd been to Maui, the Big Island (together and the former...