Monday, March 19, 2018

Fruta de pan




It's no secret that I love breadfruit. From the first time I tasted the 'slave food' back a yad (that's patois for Jamaica) in 1988, I was a fan. 

When we were in Hawaii last year I spied a breadfruit tree but sadly could only enjoy it with my eyes. (read more about that here http://twosmallgems.blogspot.com/2017/03/breadfruit.html) So when it came time to plan for Panama I was certain I would get to enjoy fruta de pan on multiple occassions.

I was wrong. Turns out that the Panamanian's don't really eat bread fruit even though Panama is the perfect climate to grow it. But the Kuna Yala do! So when I spied a tree while in the village I quickly inquired how I could acquire one.

I was told it cost $1.00 as bread fruit is actually an important staple for the Kuna and if it was to be parted with I had to pay up. From my US standards, $1.00, was a steal, I thought as I quickly handed over a US one dollar bill. Our friend Tomas hooked me up and arranged for another Kuna fella to climb one tall tree in his yard to pick one. When he handed it that breadfruit to me, I held onto that like it was a treasure!


The folks back at Yandup Lodge were kind enough to roast it up for me. It was beyond yummy. But the best part? Havana Ruby even tried some (Don and Amara are already big fruta de pan fans!) and she liked it!! I also shared some with the Kuna folks on our small island which made it even tastier.

Breaking bread with breadfruit was quite a delight and made a cherished new memory for our family!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oahu 2024

  It had been a long time since we were on Oahu. 2019 to be exact. Pre-Covid. We'd been to Maui, the Big Island (together and the former...