Sunday, September 13, 2020

Yes We Did

                                                             

We traveled. Yes we did. We traveled on a big jet plane, right above the chaos that was looming below. We went and got my mother, the girl's Nana. Brought her back to Cali. That's right. In a pandemic.  

With folks ranging from opposite extremes (those calling the wearing of a mask to fake news, to those never leaving the house, not even  once);  we found ourselves in the middle, where most folks have been living. Cautious not fearful. Going to the store as needed. Safe distancing with few other humans. Mostly staying at home, most of the time. The days melting into one another., depression started to settle in. Not unlike most other humans sheltering in place. Then, we decided to go and accompany my mother so she could stay with us, instead of having her remain isolated and alone, in her home. 

Yes, we did. We traveled. We were cautious. We planned. I called Jet Blue alot. I obsessively checked websites for covid stats and even emailed my doctor for her advise. Don did too. There was some concern about contracting covid. But I am a planner and I like to be prepared. Extra masks, dozens of gloves (worn by us all in public spaces) and lots of Dr. Bronner's hand sanitizer and Clorox wipes were packed first.  There would be no checked bags. Too risky. Everything we needed had to be touched by our hands only. 

With my methodical research, I knew we'd be fine once we got on the flight. Forty something people on flight that pre-Covid carried hundreds, kept everyone apart.  Hepa air filters further reduced the risk and masks were mandated, even enforced. And with upgrades to First Class, I actually felt much safer in that jet, way up in the sky, than I did in any grocery store on land. Not only did I feel safer in that airplane, I felt relaxed. It felt almost normal (sans the masks, cautious cleaning by crew and an almost empty plane.)

I was afraid too. Afraid of the judgment and scorn from others of our decision. Afraid of the getting the Scarlet C letter.  I was cautious too. Of how I would get defensive towards others. Those who might question my judgement.  Those who would avoid me like the plague once they learned, We Traveled. So we told just a few. And we left. 

My mother has COPD, CHF and uses portable H20.  I knew that there would be no chance in hell I would ever put her at risk.  Even when we chose not to stay with her in her home. Even when we stayed with my sister (who, along with my mother, had two Covid tests within weeks of our arrival.) I knew, that with our diligent, almost obsessive precautions, we were more at risk of the depression that was deepening within the girls, than of contracting Covid. I knew that we needed sun, heat, some adventure to counter all the fear and despair. I knew that if we did not do this, then that fear and despair would deepen and solidify. I knew that for the mental health of my children, we had to do this to help keep them healthy and whole. And, we wanted to accompany my mother who was nervous to travel alone and desperately needed to be with others.

So yes. We did. We traveled. We got that fresh air. We got that sun. We found that secluded beach where we snorkeled, in our own private bubble. We kayaked . We shared food and love with my sister. Amara got to sleep next to her Tia and feel almost normal again. Havana played with Kingston (the King of all dogs!) and we felt almost normal again. The girls got to swim daily, ride bicycles and as a result, some of that dark, depressive energy moved up and out. Leaving them feeling like things were almost normal. During out stay, there were lightening and thunder storms, with warm wind that soothed my heart and all.  All of these and more, were very, very good medicine. It countered any fear we knew we might endure from others. We (very) sadly had to skip visiting other family as well as doing things we love to do in that part of the world. But we knew we were in a pandemic. Cautious not foolish.

When we made it home, having traveled and with my mother in house, we hunkered down, staying home for days on end. Giving us time to adjust and to be cautious, just in case we did not do enough to protect ourselves.  Weeks, months out,  no one got sick. Our diligence paid off. We were cautious not foolish and it worked. Now with that traveling a memory behind us, I am still cautious to tell our tales.  But this blog is about two small gems and their life and adventures. This is something I want recorded. For when they are older, they can look back and remember and reflect on life in the pandemic and our little window to have some normalcy, some safe normalcy in the mists of it all.































No comments:

Post a Comment

Oahu 2024

  It had been a long time since we were on Oahu. 2019 to be exact. Pre-Covid. We'd been to Maui, the Big Island (together and the former...