Tuesday, June 21, 2022

Tattooed in Tahiti







I have been thinking about getting a tattoo for over thirty years. I even designed one at an early time in my life. It just never felt like the time to do as I did not feel the calling to follow through. I always try to listen to my heart/soul for big decisions and having a tattoo on one's physical body is a big decision. But it was always there, a nagging about getting a tattoo, one day.

I have always admired and felt drawn to Polynesian tattoos and that admiration was getting stronger on this trip. All those years ago on Samoa, I learned about the traditional way of tattoo art and found it fascinating and stunning. I have admired the many tattoos I saw in Samoa, on Hawaii over the years and now here on Tahiti. And then, just a few days ago, I felt a calling in my heart. It was time.

Getting a tattoo would be a ritual. There would be intention and meaning in what I would permanently put on my body. I sat with these things for several days. I even thought about backing out but then, in the middle of the night, I awoke and knew that having a tattoo done on Mo'orea would have deep meaning. It just so happened that perhaps the best tattoo artist on French Polynesia lived on Mo'orea. He was booked up until July 10th but was guided to give me an appointment on a Sunday, the only appointment that day, as most of the island was shut down on Sundays. It all lined up so easily. I would end up getting a machine tattoo not the traditionally but I was fine with that.

Amara went with me in a taxi as she wanted to watch (she also wanted a tattoo and I was relieved when she was told she had to be 18. She did not believe me when I said that!) I was nervous about the pain which was for naught. It did not hurt at all. I laid on the table with my eyes closed (after we went over the design and got familiar with one another), in a meditative state, taking deep diaphragmatic breaths the entire time. It was over before I knew it and I was very happy with the results.

We were soon off to walk back to the main road and where we opted to hitchhike back to our place. Yes, hitchhike. While we took a taxi there, I wanted to avoid incurring a return cost (taxi's are very expensive, as is everything here.) Plus, we had seen a bunch of hitchhikers and were told it was very safe. I thought it would be fun. Amara was a bit nervous but also excited. We made it back with two rides, stopping at the supermarket first and then getting back on the road with thumbs in the air.  I laughingly told Amara, "You can't say I don't bring you on some interesting adventures." 

So after all these years, I have my first tattoo. It is wrapped for a few days and will take time to heal. But I am excited for this ritual, on this powerful island. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Oahu 2024

  It had been a long time since we were on Oahu. 2019 to be exact. Pre-Covid. We'd been to Maui, the Big Island (together and the former...