Thursday, May 24, 2012

San Francisco

San Francisco is a city where people can just Be.
Despite living less than thirty minutes to San Francisco by B.A.R.T. (public train) or car (no traffic) for the last twelve years, the city still feels like a mystery to me. The East Bay has almost all we need as far as culture, community, nature, shopping and other resources. Thus, I don't often find my way across the Bay Bridge or in the 8 mile B.A.R.T. tunnel that lays across the bay floor. And truth be told, I am not much a fan of cities, other than my native New York (I am biased, I admit).  Yet each time I make the trek across the Bay, I think, "What a beautiful city. I need to come here more often. There is so much history here that I would love to explore."

One of my favorite bands, The Grateful Dead, was born in San Francisco, during the counter-culture sixties. Some of the best musicians of our time come from the 'City by the Bay.' Many of my older clients at the methadone clinic have some great stories about seeing the likes of Jimi Hendrix or The Doors at the smaller, more intimate venues. Some of my them even roomed with the likes of Janis Joplin and Carlos Santana. How I wouldn't have loved to spent some time in the San Francisco of the late 1960's. But alas, I was only born in the Summer of Love and am resigned to enjoy the city as a visitor.

The city's 60's culture took root and today San Francisco is one of the most progressive places on the planet. Those roots have spread to most of the Bay Area and we are most fortunate to be raising our girls where most people (I emphasize most) are opened minded, respect and honor people's differences in sexual orientation, race, and culture, care about the environment and generally, think outside the box. For those who know me, it's no surprise Divine Order guided me to set down my own roots in Northern California.

Not too long ago, in late winter, Amara & I spent a weekend morning exploring some of the more touristy spots. And a tourist I felt like as we went to some of the spots seen on travel brochures. But we still had a ton of fun! Amara had a blast as we rode the cable cars, saw the sea lions and checked out the one or two street performers who braved the infamous cold, windy San Francisco weather. Amara enjoyed the day more so because were joined by our friends, Lisa & Dylan. Dylan and Amara were not yet born when their mama's met. I am also including some shots of the breathtaking city & it's surrounding sites taken at other times.

.


Amara & Dylan






















Infamous Alcatraz.






Famous Lombard Street with views of the city's well known hills.
 

View of the city from Skyline Blvd. in the East Bay

View of the Golden Gate from the East Bay on an overcast day.
Alcatraz is the island in the middle of the bay.
                    
                     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oahu 2024

  It had been a long time since we were on Oahu. 2019 to be exact. Pre-Covid. We'd been to Maui, the Big Island (together and the former...