Thursday, September 3, 2015

StonyKill



There is nothing like a walk in the woods to help me feel grounded, connected and at peace. And Don and I have made spending time out in nature a priority for our family. Unfortunately, near our home in the Bay Area, there are not much woods. The Redwoods are a bit of a drive. Most trails are pretty and peaceful but California is dessert; the earth is brown all but a few months of the year (and with the drought it was been even less.)  I love living in California but I miss (and that's Miss!) the woods with tall, green trees and lush foliage. So on a relaxing Sunday while in Dutchess County, the girls and I, along with my dear friend Robyn, took a walk on the trail at StonyKill, a place that my feet used to trod upon weekly when I lived there.

It was hot and the girls were tired and initially resistant for a hike but with some (strong!) motivation off we went. Soon enough the girls were enchanted with the trees, acorns (which they brought home for the fairies!) and the many toad and frogs we encountered. It was just the perfect way to end a Sunday afternoon.
The pond was full of frogs. We all got a kick out of watching their little heads pop up out of the water!


Bird in tree.















With Robyn.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Oahu 2024

  It had been a long time since we were on Oahu. 2019 to be exact. Pre-Covid. We'd been to Maui, the Big Island (together and the former...