Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Amara in Amarapura



In December of 2003, I had the good fortune to visit a remote village in central Myanmar (aka Burma).  I was not well the day of my visit (you can read that long story here http://twosmallgems.blogspot.com/2019/02/the-paths-we-are-drawn-to-travel.html) but that did not stop me from being taken in my the quite, natural beauty of land, people and history. I remember the drive back to Mandalay. It was late evening, the weather warm and I took lots of deep breathes to cope with an upset stomach. I also had distinct thoughts that the name Amarapura was just lovely. I told myself that if my dream of being a mother were to ever come true, than Amara would make for a great name for my daughter.

Two plus years later, my lifelong dream of having a daughter was on its way to manifesting. I told Don about my trip to Amarapura and asked if he liked the name Amara for our unborn being. Sure, he replied, in his typical not to many words way. And so it came to be. Our girl would be Amara (Amara Pearl Josephine to be exact!)

I knew that one day I would want to take Amara to that village one day. I wanted her to be old enough to remember but young enough to have that child magic still somewhat in tack. To see the world through the eyes of a child is quite different than that of an adult. 

Although she did not say so, I suspected she felt a little underwhelmed by the actual village. Amarapura is simple. Yet she loved seeing her name in various places. On some village signs, on the United Amara Bank and on several other business establishments. Amara is an unusual name and it was pretty cool to see her name in big, bold lettering. We joked that Havana was next but for the time being we all got a kick of being with Amara in Amarapura.



Amara on U Bein Bridge, Amarapura. The bridge is the oldest and longest teak bridge in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oahu 2024

  It had been a long time since we were on Oahu. 2019 to be exact. Pre-Covid. We'd been to Maui, the Big Island (together and the former...