Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Southern Shan State


When I went to Myanmar in 2003, I had five days. Not even enough time to get used to how folks said hello let alone explore much. Mandalay was where I rested my head and ventured out from. Yet my interest was peaked by fellow backpacker travel stories about places like Bagan and Inle Lake. How I wished I had more time to explore those ancient cities and remote villages. When planning our trip for late 2018, I knew I had to make a decision between the two cities. There was not enough time to do both.  SinceI intuitively sensed it would be more appealing to the kids, Inle Lake, the southern Shan state won out.

Southern Shan State (home to Inle Lake and the township of Nyaungshwe did not disappoint (the only regret was it turned out my long lost friend Aung Zaw now resided in Bagan). From the 19th century Shew Yan Pyay Monastery, to the Intha and Kayan villages, literally on the lake (both are the Tibetan-Burse tribe), to bicycle rides around the small town, to golden pagodas in the heart of Nyaungshwe and in surrounding hillsides, we experienced a remote, intact way of life amongst kind, warm and resilient people. A people whose lives are deeply rooted in Buddhism. 

150 year old teak Monastery

While tourism has allowed for a view into the Western way of living as well some modern conveniences for us travels (like a hotel with a pool, wifi and ATM's, we were still immersed in a way of life that felt like we had stepped back in time. The entire family witnessed a way of life that some might call simple, yet in reality felt solid, community oriented and much closer to Mother Earth/Father Sky than our lives in the West. 

We wanted our journey to be educational. To open our eyes, hearts and minds. The Shan State did that and more. Who'd of thought we'd see fishermen rowing with their legs, while fishing. Or floating gardens that supplied fresh vegetables. Or  seeing some women still using the river to wash their clothing and others transporting items with their head. This way of life, so foreign to us, seemed so much more aligned with a way a of life that felt more in balance. 


Our modern hotel. Expensive by local standards. More than reasonable by ours. Nicer accommodations with young children made the travels smoother.

Young monks studying.
Local Woman



We spent a day on tuk tuk tour around the region. 

Local Market. I was in heaven. A local market is by far one of my favorite things to visit when traveling.

Woman selling flowers at market.

 Don+ Oranges = True Love. He was in heaven!

I have a thing for baskets. Not surprisingly, one similar to this is now hanging in our home.

The girls were surprised when I shared with them that when I lived in Jamaica I washed my clothing my the river as well.





Floating Garden.



Opium pipes for sale in a tourist section of the market. Reality was that opium is a huge no no in Myanmar (and yes, there is the illegal trade, just don't get caught up in it.)



                                                                              

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oahu 2024

  It had been a long time since we were on Oahu. 2019 to be exact. Pre-Covid. We'd been to Maui, the Big Island (together and the former...