Thursday, May 3, 2012

36" Inches



Just before Amara turned 3, the Oakland Zoo was one of our more favorite outings. We would see the animals and then go to the rides. Havana was still a baby so she was happy to hang out in the Ergo. But Amara loved to ride the Merry-Go-Round and the train. But what she really wanted to do was ride the airplane ride. But there was problem. She wasn't tall enough. Girlfriend was not yet at the 36" mark and so each time we were disappointed when she was turned away. 

One day I measured her at home and by my accounts she was 36". "Yeah, you can go on the airplane ride Amara", I told her. So the next week, off we went to the Oakland Zoo. When we got to the ride the man measured her; 35 & 3/4 inches he told us. She couldn't go on the ride. "What? You're kidding me?" I was one mad mama. How dare they turn her away for 1/4 inch? I tried my best to persuade the staff to no avail. Amara was so disappointed and I felt sad for my gal.

Amara continued to talk about that airplane ride. So that year for her 3rd birthday, I decided to take her to Pixieland, a kids amusement park out in Concord. There she could ride all the rides she wanted to despite not being a full 36". Her birthday fell on a weekday and so I took the day off and together with another friend and her girl,off we went to Pixieland where Amara's wish to "ride the airplane ride" came true! I was one happy mama that day!

Amara on her 3rd birthday!
Amara finally reached 36" around age 3 1/2 years. Just yesterday we went back to Pixieland and Amara was delighted that she was 40". Girlfriend is still a little bitty thing, but she has grown 4 inches in under 2 years! And perhaps the most interesting part of this is that Little Havana is not so little. Baby Girl is not yet 3 years old and is already 36" tall. I suspect it won't be long till they are the same height and that one day Baby Girl may even be taller than Big Sis. But don't tell Amara that because that's a sore spot!

Baby Girl is a tall girl!

Amara measuring her sister.
Happy Pilot!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oahu 2024

  It had been a long time since we were on Oahu. 2019 to be exact. Pre-Covid. We'd been to Maui, the Big Island (together and the former...