Friday, August 26, 2016

One the Road Again

On the Road Again


We left Yellowstone knowing it would be a long drive. Days of driving, until we reached the Oregon Coast. At some point, Don and I agreed that the Central Oregon coast was too much driving and opted for Crescent City, on the border. That would allow us, or rather me, the chance to at least cross back over into Oregon, if we felt like it, and see the coastline I have longed to check out for many years, (it turned out, we opted for the beach and Redwoods of Crescent City.)


IMG_8442


During our drive from Yellowstone, our road trip turned out to be pretty everything I had hoped a road trip could be; a chance to drive and stop wherever we felt so inclined, and to experience whatever showed up along the way.  We loved the small Western town just outside the West gate of the park, where we had lunch at a small restaurant that had been in the same family since the 1950’s. Our young server was part of that family and we got to learn about the area from the historic photos and artifacts that hung throughout the establishment. No pun intended, but I just eat up stuff like that.  I mean, does it get any better than when the girls need to use the bathroom and instead of just standing in there waiting for them to finish life usual, I got to check out a photo  of a frontier woman, with rife and leather garment dating back to the about a hundred years? Things like that make my day.


IMG_8454


IMG_8472


The drive to Idaho Falls was long; Amara and I took a nap while Havana watched a movie (Don preferred to drive most day.) After a pit stop at Walmart (yes, Walmart), we continued another 2 plus hours to Twin Falls. I had it in my mind for months to stop at Shosone Falls. We arrived at our RV campground with just enough time for the girls to take a quick, refreshing dip in the geothermal pool and for us to do a load of laundry before crashing for the night.


The next day we headed to Oregon after a stop at Shosone Falls. We contemplated skipping it because we had hundreds of miles ahead of use but the Falls were only 9 miles from the RV park. There was no way we could pass it by and when we got there, we were all happy we did.


IMG_8461


IMG_8460


The drive through the High Desert of Oregon reminded me of where I used to live in Iriezona (that’s Arizona in English!). We drove for miles along a river before coming to the small town of Burns. Four and a half hours of driving was suffice. We stopped just before town to check out a Native museum and gift shop before setting up camp for the night. I was thankful we were back on PST, as we gained an hour. Don took the girls for a walk while I threw together a most welcomed home cook meal including Idaho sweet corn. The girls topped it off with Dairy Queen (which ironically was just across the street from the local head shop!)


IMG_8476


  IMG_8477


Resistant about another long drive day, I opted to get up just past 5 a.m., and while the girls slept, (Don got up with me), I set off. We had a seven hour drive time and I wanted to make good time. If the girls would sleep several hours that would help alleviate boredom while they were awake. I drove a good 3 hours along some pretty desolate landscape but we were blessed to have two young male deer gracefully bounce in front of our RV and saw many a wild rabbit along the way. The views were just breathtaking too. From stark landscapes, to salt lakes, to forests, we troded on until we hit the coast, with enough hours in the day to enjoy the majestic Redwoods and Coast. From 10,000 ft. to sea level, we covered a lot of ground. Here are some photos of our days on the road from Yellowstone to the Pacific ocean. 


IMG_8484



No comments:

Post a Comment

Oahu 2024

  It had been a long time since we were on Oahu. 2019 to be exact. Pre-Covid. We'd been to Maui, the Big Island (together and the former...