Saturday, September 18, 2021

Mahalo Maui

                               


This past July, even as we are not yet out of the pandemic woods, I had the opportunity to travel to Maui to do a continuing education conference.  I was cautious optimistically when I registered in February that I might be able to actually attend, as vaccines were rolling out and things were looking brighter as far as the covid 19 pandemic was concerned. When I came up the CAV academy a year earlier  (https://cavacademy.com/), I thought, what better way to get valuable training, earn my required CE's, while being in one of my most favorite places on the planet? I had wanted the whole family to join me but luckily for Amara, Girl Scout sleep away resumed and it conflicted with the conference (GS is always the #1 summer activity for Amara). Don declined (I think he relished the idea of being alone in the house, after a year and a half of almost none stop togetherness!) He said he opted to hold down the fort and to pick up Amara after her two weeks at camp. That left me and Havana. Which was ideal. Amara and I did our first mom and daughter trip in early July to Seattle. This would allow Havana and I some time to Be together for our own adventure and form our own, new memories.

Before we set off on those adventures however, we settled in the Sheraton in Lahaina, in our lovely oceanfront room, where I attended the conference for my profession. It literally was picture perfect. The ocean waves, the turquoise waters and peaceful vibes allowed for us to relax and restore. I won't go into too much details about the conference here but I will say that it was like a tidal wave of long overdue, fresh air, to be surrounded by so many out of the box thinking, very diverse therapists. In my thirty years in the Mental Health profession (and really, I see myself as a healer not just the label of therapist), never had I been around such a large group of diverse healers. It was breathtaking at times. We got to know a few of those therapists and spent quality time together in the pool, at the beach, breaking bread and exploring new places. Havana and I were disappointed that we did not connect with other families as we had expected but the adults were warm, inviting and inclusive.  We even made a 6:30 am excursion to the swap meet, to do some shopping before our 9 am start time. I left the conference with some new knowledge (grief was one of the very important, very appropriate topics), some reminders and refreshers of more familiar topics and perhaps most important, the reminder how crucial it is for those who serve in the healing field to take time to nourish body, mind and soul. 

After the conference, we headed down to Kihei, where we picked up a rental car (actually, we had to try 4 cars over two days, as they were old, janky and not safe, but eventually we got one that worked and was safe enough) and checked into a sweet condo right across the ocean. We were able to cook meals (including a birthday dinner with one of our new therapist friends) and eat on the lanai, with spectacular sunsets. We swam in the pool and snorkeled in nearby beaches. We ate save ice at our favorite spot (http://peaceloveshaveice.com/) on multiple occasions and we set off for Hana, where we spent the night before making the drive back (that was the most amazing road trip). Hawaii was generous, loving, warm and restorative. In return, we were grateful, mindful and gave Pele a few gifts in return for her tremendous hospitality.  Mahalo Maui. Mahalo.






The Venus Pools near Hana was beyond breathtaking. Magical, sacred, powerful.

The girls & I stopped using basic sign when they were tots. But we still use this one express our hearts emotions. I felt much joy and love sharing such amazing adventures with my girl.

Havana enjoying the Venus pools.





The view from the condo in Kihei. I sat there at night and dreamed of never leaving.





We used the Shaka app on the road to Hana, which was a great guide. We stopped at some spectacular falls including a hike to one. The lush, green heart chakra energy filled us.














This view from our room.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Oahu 2024

  It had been a long time since we were on Oahu. 2019 to be exact. Pre-Covid. We'd been to Maui, the Big Island (together and the former...