Wednesday, September 29, 2021

Maui Swap Meet (& more!)

                                       

It is a well known fact in my family (and amongst friends) that I love to check out local food and craft markets. Especially when traveling. There is something special about meeting the locals who grow (or sell) the foods we eat and whose hands create beautiful works of art. Even though I may not often buy, just looking and taking in the creativity, nourishes my heart. I am proud to say that my children now share this as well.

While planning for Maui, I posted on our therapist conference FB page, that the Maui Swap Meet was back up and running (which in my opinion, is the best swap meet on all the Hawaiian islands), after a year and half shut down due to Covid. We'd only been to Maui once prior but we found that the Maui Swap Meet was one not to pass up. I was delighted that it was re-opening prior to our arrival and I was equally thrilled for those whose livelihood depended on markets like this. What makes the Maui swap meet so special is the amount of local artists versus mock Hawaii tchotchkes that are made overseas and passed off as authentic souvenirs (which do have their value!)

I was not sure if we'd make it to the swap meet until after the conference (when we had a rental car.) Luckily for Havana and I, a few other therapists were up for the challenge to get up early on Saturday (like be the car at 630 am challenge!), hit the market and shop and head back to the first seminar at 9 am (and mind you, it was a thirty minute drive from our resort.) One woman Norine kindly offered to drive us all, so off we went. The time in the car, early and us sleepy was alot of fun and when we hit the market, we each  took off on our own to do our thing. Havana and I found some great things but knew we'd have to return the following weekend when we had more time. We all ended up with some sweet finds including some yummy produce. 

During the rest of our time on Maui, Havana and I wandered into a bunch of shops and made some great finds for ourselves as well as others (Hello Kitty Hawaii!!) We did make it back to the swap meet, as did Norine. We both went to town at one particular booth before we headed our own ways again. Part of traveling is to find quaint knickknacks to bring home to share with family and friends as well as to take in that local, creative art I had mentioned earlier. 

One a funny note, I was working on this post last week. Then over this past weekend, our family went up to Apple Hill in the foothills for apples and to check out the crafts at High Hill Farm. There was one vendor that we loved so much in Maui who told us he sells at Apple Farm in the fall.  Low and behold, we ran into him here. I have told the girls repeatedly, if you keep an open mind and heart, you have some interesting and often spontaneous encounters in life. Traveling allows for that to happen even more so.














The photo above this one is of a vendor we met in Maui and then again here in the foothills. Michael Runningbear, he makes powerful and stunning pieces. Or which I know own a couple!












No comments:

Post a Comment

Oahu 2024

  It had been a long time since we were on Oahu. 2019 to be exact. Pre-Covid. We'd been to Maui, the Big Island (together and the former...