Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Scenes from Seattle

 

Laying on the Space Needle's glass floor


Amara and I took our first mom and daughter trip together in early July.  We headed up to the Pacific Northwest, to send a week in Seattle. It would be the first time there for both of us. To experience the city and to see new sights for the first time together was super fun. There is nothing like traveling. Hitting the road solo can be a blast but when you are with someone you love and who digs adventure as much as you, it makes it all the more fulfilling. Add to the fact that Amara is a great travel partner, always up for new things, exploring places and new foods, never complaining (like me) that her feet hurt after hours of walking.  She came up with ideas of things to do and was flexible when plans changed last minute. That all made for a great week, filled with many lasting memories.

Amara was the inspiration for this trip. During her time in MFS Middle School, the kids continued their tradition of saving money for the Adventure Trip. The Adventure Trip is an approximately 5 day trip that the kids plan each year. They do all the planning, fundraising and budgeting, with almost no adult interference, other than their teachers input when necessary. Unfortunately, with a global pandemic that would not let up, the Middle School could not travel either year Amara was there. In years past, Middle School would do a local trip and an away trip. Amara talked about this for years. And when she became the Pizza Business Co-CEO in 7th year and then the CEO in 8th year, she was so excited to help raise the funds for an away trip. Seattle was the place she had in her mind and she was working hard, in her gentle leader manner, to convince her peers that Seattle was the destination to work for. So when all the plans got squashed, I felt terrible for Amara. We had many long talks about how life changes, how things happen that we can not control. And still,  for months, Amara talked about Seattle and all the things she wanted to experience in that city.

As one who has travel and adventure in their heart and blood, whenever I am ready to hit the road (or plane), I always go to a location that calls me, not one that I just randomly pick and off I go. There has be something inside that says, 'hey come for a visit.' Twenty-eight countries and thirty-seven states later, almost all of those were due to what I refer to as 'the calling.' I am called, I listen and I go. It went without saying that when Amara talked about Seattle in a way that felt like she had a calling, that I paid attention. I started planning in the Spring. I stayed on top of the global covid situation and all that entailed. I told Amara that we might have to cancel at the last minute if it was not safe. I was fully vaccinated since January but then once Amara was eligible and she felt much more comfortable with life in general, we had a green light. Tickets were bought, some plans made, hotel was booked. We were both filled with eager anticipation. 


We celebrated Havana's birthday on June 30th and the next morning, bright and very early, we were off. Thanks to slow pandemic air reservations, Amara and I scored first class for cheaper than economy. Amara thought this was the bomb. She has flown this way a few times but it never gets old. I was quick to remind her how lucky she was, how she was experiencing things that most other children would never experience. I told her it was not just flying first class but traveling, staying in a hotel, having the means to do what we were doing. Amara has always been a wise old soul and mature beyond her years. When she said, "I know Mama, I am very thankful," I knew without a doubt that she meant it. I was very grateful myself to be able to take the time go on this adventure with my girl. 


When we landed in Sea-Tac, we grabbed our bags and headed to the light rail. No rental cars for us. We'd be on public transportation and our own feet. I was immediately impressed by the quiet, clean rail system and how fast we reached Pioneer Square. Our hotel was literally a 3 minute walk down and around the corner. Again, thanks to the pandemic travel slow down, we stayed in the Courtyard Marriot, complete with mini-kitchen, indoor pool and a convenient location for less than $100 a day. The room was clean, spacious and allowed us to do some eating in the room, which saved time and money. Folks always ask me how I afford to travel. I shared this with Amara while there as I used this trip to help teach her some of the tricks of travel. I told her that once you listen to the call, you have to be super diligent in your searching, you have to be flexible and you can't wait when you see a good fare or hotel rate. I also later shared with her the importance of trusting her intuition when walking new city streets or making plans to explore places. I shared tips for being frugal and how that can help fund outings that may cost more. I had not planned to share all this but as we set about to explore the city by foot it occurred to me that she was ready to learn. I suspect Amara will get to see much more of the world and planting these seeds now will prove fruitful in the future.



When Amara and I set off to see the sites, we had no idea we'd be seeing so many new and cool things. Some things were planned, like the Museum of Pop Culture (MPOP) and the Space Needle (due to covid, there was a restriction on the number of people allowed each day), while other things, like the Underground City Tour, was something we decided on in the moment (and provided us with a great history of how European Seattle was founded and who were the original people's were.) When we came upon the big Ferris wheel at the pier, we immediately got in line. Amara, the good student that she is said, "Mom, it's expensive, maybe we should spend our money somewhere else." I replied, "Yes, it is but we saved for things like this. Do you want go do?" Her big, amber eyes widened with her yes. Amara tends to be fearful but despite that anxious fear, she is still always up for exciting things. She loved scaring herself once we got on the ride. (That may be her counterphobic enneagram type 6.)


Amara on the Ferris wheel above & a view of the skyline from the Ferris wheel.

During our days, we visited the international district, where we had Boba and veggie steam dumplings. We later went back for a foot massage for our aching feet. We took the light rail to the MPOP, where we saw some pretty cool things including original costumes from Disney moves and one of our favorite shows, Once Upon a Time. Amara got to get scared again in the horror exhibit, complete with Jason's mask, body parts and zombies. There was 60's memorabilia and more. I thought that would be an okay outing but it turned out to be a favorite. What turned out to be my least favorite thing was when Amara wanted to go the mall and shop. I may be one of the few females that hates shopping but she did scored a new shirt and some shorts for her sister. I guess it doesn't matter where you go, you can always find a mall to do shopping!

Pikes Market, which was on the top of our list turned out to be a bit too crowded and touristy.  The basement level Korean supermarket we stumbled upon on our way to the market was far more exciting and enjoyable. The same could be said about the Space Needle. It was super cool and we were glad to go. But it was hot as heck and there were too many people in a slow line. The City Center, also just around the corner from our hotel, was taller and much more peaceful with only a handful of tourists on the observation floor.


Luvey & Ellie are also great travel companions. They have traveled far and wide with our family, having been part of our family since Amara was born.

Our cousins Bobby and her son Robert. 








The best part of our trip turned how to be not about the city. Amara and I grew even closer. To have time between us that was uninterrupted from daily chores, work, school and input from other family members was a most surprising welcome. I realized how important it would be going forward to take extended time with each of my girls (and it so happened, Havana and I would be traveling to Maui later in July.)

The other surprising relationship is that I got to meet my first cousin Bobby and her son Robert. They came into the city and whisked us away to get a taste of what the rest of Washington was like. We enjoyed getting to know each other, take in the lush greenery of the hills and have a yummy dinner together. Our time with them reinforced that while we had a blast exploring the concrete jungle, we are nature people in our hearts and souls. Our cousins were too. We bonded over many things and our time with them, on our last day, was the symbolic icing on the cake.

We said goodbye to the city, with lots of memories, a few new items of clothing (and some gifts for the family at home) and with much gratitude to have had the time, ways and means to make this journey together.


























No comments:

Post a Comment

Oahu 2024

  It had been a long time since we were on Oahu. 2019 to be exact. Pre-Covid. We'd been to Maui, the Big Island (together and the former...